R. Plevin & Sons have an exciting opportunity for a Group Transport Manager to join their growing team based at our Mossley depot, the role will oversee the transport operation across all sites within the group and will require travel between sites.
Job Title: Group Transport Manager
Location: Mossley Depot, Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire
Salary: Competitive + Benefits
R. Plevin & Sons is one of the UK’s leading wood recyclers and manufacturers of animal bedding materials, operating an internal fleet of vehicles and trailers to service a growing customer base.
This progressive company is looking to recruit a Group Transport Manager to report to the Transport Director, to manage and oversee the transport function across the group. This role will have the responsibility of managing transport resources across our fleet of 45 vehicles to ensure the delivery of a quality and efficient service to our customers.
Group Transport Manager – Key Responsibilities:
- Contributing to a proactive health and safety culture. Ensuring adequate risk assessments and safe systems of work are in place for transport activities and these are understood and adhered to
- Direct responsibility for ensuring compliance with all legal requirements of the transport operation, with regards to both the WTD and the Drivers Hours Regulations, along with the specific requirements of our O-licences
- Contributing to the strategic direction of the transport department
- Responsibility for our fleet of vehicles to ensure delivery is efficient, cost effective and customer requirements are met
- Managing the transport team through effective recruitment, retention, development, objective setting and motivation to ensure defined standards are achieved
- Overseeing the transport function across the group including vehicle planning, vehicle utilisation, vehicle management, training, quality and safety
- Ensuring effective and accurate transport records are maintained
- Ensuring effective communication processes are established and maintained with drivers, staff and internal and external customers
- Ensuring that details of vehicle accidents, incidents, delays and issues are fully investigated and findings escalated accordingly
- Controlling, monitoring and acting upon internal KPI’s
- Controlling budgets and cost management
Group Transport Manager - Key Skills / Qualifications:
- CPC National Holder
- Previous transport management experience
- Excellent understanding of logistics, route planning and vehicle utilisation, adopting a methodical and logical approach to work
- Demonstrable technical and legal knowledge relating to the management of a large fleet of vehicles
- A good knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation and a working knowledge of employment law
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven change management experience
- Ability to make decisions under pressure and to tight timescales
- Adaptable/flexible approach to working in order to meet the requirements of the business
- Computer literate with a good understanding of Microsoft Office packages and tracking systems
- Proven experience of introducing and driving improvements, such as traffic management systems and logistics process improvements, is advantageous
- An understanding of or experience of working in the wood recycling industry is desirable (WAMITAB a distinct advantage)
- IOSH essential, NEBOSH is desirable
- Experience of working to ISO quality systems is essential
This is a fantastic opportunity for a dynamic transport professional to join a true leader in their field and to make a difference in the development of the transport function moving forward.
Group Transport Manager - Benefits:
- A competitive salary
- Company pension scheme
- 33 days holiday (including BH’s)
To submit your CV for this exciting Group Transport Manager opportunity, please click ‘Apply’ now
You can apply this job via clicking the button below.