Job Title: Fleet Product Manager
Location: Milton Keynes
Package: Competitive basic salary, plus excellent benefits package (including tax efficient company car scheme and Loan Car Scheme, Fuel Card, Roadside Assistance, Pension, 27 Days Holiday, Onsite Occupational Health, Private Health Insurance, Profit Related Bonus, Childcare Vouchers, and more…!).
The Product Manager is responsible for product planning, development and enhancement throughout the product lifecycle. For designated business lines and products this includes: gathering and prioritising market and customer requirements, defining and delivering the product vision and working closely with the wider business to ensure sales, revenue and customer satisfaction goals are met. They will primarily take an ‘outside in’/customer centric view to ensure products and services meet customers’ needs (expressed or unexpressed) and are market competitive. As a default the business will adopt an approach of ‘design for differentiation’ to ensure our portfolio is built to have unique points of interest and appeal from the outset.
The role also includes ensuring that the existing product and service portfolio, and future development, supports the overall company strategy and goals.
The product manager will take responsibility for designated products, channels or business lines as directed, which will change from time-to-time in line with evolving business priorities.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Product strategy – rooted in customer needs rather than existing internal capability, develops market strategies for designated product and service lines to meet revenue and profitability goals in line with overall strategic objectives. This includes production of a product roadmap and determining market price positioning.
• Market positioning – lead company understanding of the commercial performance for designated products and services (supported by business performance), developing broad support for initiatives and developments. This includes empirical measures (sales performance and trends) as well as understanding consumer and stakeholder opinions and requirements. A clear understanding of competitor and peer behaviours and practices will also be required.
• Business case development – crafting and championing the business case for new developments to ensure we select and invest in the correct portfolio of offers in the most efficient and commercially advantageous way.
• Product management – launch and manage designated product and service lines within appropriate control frameworks. This includes the proactive management of a product policy, as well as informing the new product approval process where required. Support sales and account management teams with appropriate training and material to maximise their success. Ensure new and existing offers are appropriate supported by CRM and sales automation (Salesforce) systems and integrated into the sales process.
• Innovation – manage the innovation process drawing on inputs from a wide range of internal and external sources from both within and outside the industry (including sales, operations, suppliers, customers, new entrants). This will include developing new product and services for existing segments and developing cross-selling opportunities.
• Policy, compliance and legislation – understand internal requirements and mandates for products and services, and implement them appropriately within the UK market. Ensure that changes in compliance, legislation and taxation are fully understood and implemented.
• Brand relationship management and negotiations – Participate in the commercial relationship with VWG brands in conjunction with brand manager(s) as required. Represent VWFS at brand and retailer meetings to position and negotiate the use of FS products and services to support brand objectives. This includes direct control of negotiations with senior brand personnel, including the conclusion of financial and contractual arrangements for product cooperation.
• Supplier management and control – work with purchasing / procurement function to support where required product development activity and ensure that all assigned budgets are managed and controlled with approved limits. This includes internal suppliers and head office operations.
• Project management – apply sound project management discipline to new product development process. Contribute to business projects as required, acting as business champion for projects related to designated business lines and products. Work with marketing communication to ensure new products and services are launched effectively to sales teams, customers and prospects.
• Product championing – represent designated products and business lines both in the UK and internationally. This may include internal meeting and workshops, industry forums; brand and retailer liaison and international cooperation
Skills and Experience Required
• Relevant commercial experience ideally including previous product management/development, ideally within a financial services or regulated environment
• Experience of preparing and presenting successful financial proposals including business plans and proposals for expenditure and managing developments within agreed budgets
• The ability to interpret complex and disparate data
• Understanding of a range of market research methods; evidence of having conducted or managed customer insight research
• Able to translate customer and market requirements into deliverable (and commercially viable) products and services
• Ability to marshal and manage cross business teams, demonstrating a range of influencing strategies and tactics
• The ability to manage short-term operational requirements, whilst maintaining a broad strategic view of the business as a whole
• Educated to degree level or equivalent
• Proven ability to present and communicate effectively at all levels including Head Of/Senior Management
• Ability to interpret complex and varied information in a way that is facilitates the understanding of the audience.
• Project management skills
• Process development/support skills
• Highly developed interpersonal skills including the aptitude to manage a team
• Thorough understanding of the fleet market and the products and services required to support them
• Relevant understanding of risk, legal, tax and accounting frameworks.