What is the purpose of this role?
To develop and implement strategies to support the delivery of a cost effective and fully compliant fleet solution, with a focus on the management of occupational road risk and fleet optimisation.
What makes this role unique?
Thames Water is the UKs largest water and wastewater services provider with 15 million customers and 4,500 employees. Our fleet averages 20 million miles per year, with over 50% of vehicles based in and around London, including cars, vans and HGV’s. Working as part of the Logistics Operations team, this role offers variety and the opportunity to play a key role in shaping the road risk and optimum fleet strategy, along with the administration and management of the policy.
What will this role involve?
The Manager will:
- Develop policies, standards, systems and processes to deliver a leading practice approach to road risk management, with a reduction in vehicle related incidents, injuries and all associated costs.
- Develop policies, standards, systems and processes to deliver an optimum fleet.
- Build, manage and forecast financial budget in area of responsibility, demonstrating an understanding of risks and opportunities.
- Manage supplier contracts to deliver efficiencies/cost savings across a portfolio of Fleet OPEX and CAPEX spend categories, in line with business need and agreed service levels.
- Employ a leading practice approach through keeping in touch with latest developments in the industry and across companies, in road risk management and associated legislation to make supported recommendations for improvements.
- Coach and support others in road risk management, both within the team and the operational business to encourage a one team approach to road risk and deliver improvements in driver behaviour.
- The provision of ‘fit for purpose’ vehicles and plant assets in line with operational and business needs.
- The adoption of a disposal strategy to achieve maximum value on disposal of assets.
What skills are we looking for?
The successful candidate will have a background in Fleet and experience of working in a similar role, with a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety and relevant legislation. We want someone who is passionate about Fleet, someone who can really engage with internal and external stakeholders and excellent leadership and people management skills. You need to be organised with proven project, financial and contract management skills. You will have excellent attention to detail and have strong IT skills in Microsoft Office and databases. A transport manager CPC is preferred but not essential. You will need to hold a full valid driving licence in order to be successful in this role.
This role is based in central Reading, only minutes from the train station. We are offering a salary of between £36,000 and £42,000, depending on skills and experience, plus a range of benefits including an excellent contributory pension scheme, childcare vouchers, season ticket loans and paid volunteering days.