What is the purpose of this role?
To develop and implement strategies to support the delivery of a cost effective and fully compliant fleet solutions, with a focus on inventory management, vehicle and plant maintenance and vehicle and driver compliance.
What makes this role unique?
Thames Water is the UKs largest water and wastewater services provider with 15 million customers and 4,500 employees. Our fleet averages 20 million miles per year, with over 50% of vehicles based in and around London, including cars, vans and HGV’s. Working as part of the Logistics Operations team, this role offers variety and the opportunity to play a key role in developing strategies to support a safe and compliant fleet, with optimum vehicle availability and effective management of policies.
What will this role involve?
The Manager will:
- Develop and implement robust policies, standards, systems and processes to ensure the ongoing compliance of the Operator’s Licence.
- Develop and implement policies, standards, systems and processes to deliver on-time, efficient and cost effective inventory management.
- Develop and implement robust policies, standards, systems and processes in respect of maintenance management, to deliver a cost effective, timely and compliant vehicle and plant fleet.
- Build, manage, monitor and forecast financial budget in area of responsibility, identifying and managing risks and opportunities.
- Drive continuous improvement by monitoring supplier performance, seeking stakeholders’ views and taking appropriate actions based on the information obtained.
- Provide specialist advice to influence decision making and/or development of solutions in respect of vehicle and plant design in line with application.
- Employ a leading practice approach through keeping in touch with latest developments in the industry and across companies, in compliance, maintenance and inventory management as associated legislation to make supported recommendations for improvements.
What skills are we looking for?
The successful candidate will have a background in Fleet and experience of working in a similar role, with a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety, construction and Use, Trailers and loading, licensing, drivers’ hours and relevant legislation. We want someone who is passionate about Fleet, someone who can really engage with internal and external stakeholders and excellent leadership and people management skills. You need to be organised with proven project, financial and contract management skills. You will have excellent attention to detail and have strong IT skills in Microsoft Office and databases. A transport manager CPC is essential. You will need to hold a full valid driving licence in order to be successful in this role.
Thames Water information & Salary
This role is based in central Reading, only minutes from the train station. We are offering a salary of between £36,000 and £43,000, depending on skills and experience, plus a range of benefits including an excellent contributory pension scheme, childcare vouchers, season ticket loans and paid volunteering days.