Michelin fleet manager puts himself out of a job

Michelin has agreed to outsource its entire fleet operations – a move that includes not employing an in-house fleet manager – at the recommendation of its current fleet manager.

The man currently in control of Michelin’s fleet John Stack revealed to Fleet News that he was the driving force behind the move to outsource the company’s fleet operation.

“I shall soon be out of work but this is at my own instigation. Fleet has always been under-resourced here and what I’ve achieved has been a struggle.

If this had happened years ago it would have allowed me to take on a more strategic role,” said the man who was also instrumental in lifting the tyre firm’s at-work driving safety performance by more than 50%.

“While I think I have a lot of expertise, I’ve never had the resource to do what I’ve wanted to do. Our IT systems were creaking and rather than carry out a revamp or buy in new equipment, outsourcing seemed more sensible."

The move is inline with Michelin’s policy to outsource its non-core business and leave the expertise to others, he told Fleet News.

A company man for more than half his life, 60-year-old Stack is now a part-time consultant helping transfer Michelin’s 340-vehicle fleet operation to FSG.

“I expect to finish at the end of November. There’s nothing acrimonious about this – it’s been the sensible thing to do in our case. We are happy with the way things are going because FSG is really professional and has some fantastic services,” he said.

Michelin was recently named a business champion by the Driving for Better Business campaign after cutting its road crash rate by more than half over the last five years.

Click here for fleet procurement best practice and procurement insight

Comments

• Mandy Lifeboats - 04/10/2010 15:14

Blimey. I hope he got his "30-year company man" compensation signed off before they read about Michelin's under-resourcing and creaking IT systems. Well, John, at 60 and after struggling for so long, you'll be happy to move on and all the best to you. As for all you fleet managers in your 40s and 50s, well good luck to you, too.

• mickdonovan2078 - 15/10/2010 16:53

Smacks of Bennie Hill and the Milk tops rattling in thier crate, was it the IT system creaking or was it really John, ha ha Good Luck for the future John, you been a star Regards Mick Donovan

• robertbranagan3319 - 29/11/2010 13:19

A strange decision made by a fleet professional. In my opinion every company with a sustantial fleet of vehicles needs their own in-house Fleet Manager, even if it is just to manage any outsourced supply arrangements. Who, I wonder, is going to monitor the Michelin fleet and what FSG do? And if there was ever a scenario of a corporate manslaughter case who will be responsible? Michelin or FSG? Maybe John did not want to hand over his legacy to another fleet professional or maybe there just aren't any available fleet managers to take over the role? Whatever the reasons John, good luck, I'm sure you deserve a rest, and I'm sure this will just be a short term solution to a long term problem.

• AdamWright - 29/11/2010 22:26

"Under-resourced"! That would make Michelin's well-known tyre fitting subsidiary "nano-resourced". Fleet got that much recognition that the consultants who managed the restructure weren't even aware there was an internal car fleet that needed planning. I hope, like me, you're enjoying an active retirement.

• sage&onion - 30/11/2010 12:13

Do Michelin still offer a "fleet-managed" service for their tyres? I used to use their fleet-managed service with a previous employer but would have to think very carefully about using such a service again if Michelin can't even "fleet manage" their own vehicles.

• LEE SWIFT - 13/02/2013 00:14

AS A MAIN DEALER TRAINED VEHICLE TECH, WORKING MY WAY UP THROUGH THE RANKS TO WORKSHOP CONTROLLER BEFORE BEING HEAD HUNTED BY A VERY LARGE LOCAL FOOD DISTRIBUTION COMPANY WHO HAD INVESTED IN AN INDEPENDANT GARAGE. I HAVE BEEN BATTLING HARD TO PROMOTE OUR SERVICES TO THE LIKES OF THE BIG FLEET MANAGEMENT COMPANYS BUT WITH ONLY A SMALL SUCCESS, WE RECENTLY SIGNED UP TO THE 1-LINK SYSTEM AS A SERVICE PROVIDER COSTING A TOTAL OF £1100 POUNDS JUST TO BE ON THE SYSTEM. WE WERE SOLD ON THE IDEA THAT THERE WAS A WHOLE HOST OF CUSTOMERS WAITING TO USE US! IN FACT 7 MONTHS LATER AND THE ONLY CATCH WE HAVE HAD IS LAUGHABLY OUR VERY OWN CUSTOMER WHO DECIDED TO GO AND OUTSOURCE THEIR FLEET MANAGEMENT BUT WANTED US TO DO THE SMR. WHEN I CHALLENGED THIS AND ASK TO COME OFF I WAS TOLD YEA YOU CAN BUT IN ANOTHER 12 MONTHS! SO ANOTHER £1100 ARHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH A TOTAL CON FOR THE SMALL INDEPENDANT WHO IS JUST TRYING TO GET ON IN THIS WORLD! WE NEED A VOICE SORRY FOR THE RANT