The AA today called for pioneers to lead the switch from diesel and petrol cars to electric vehicles.
Addressing Durham County Council, AA president Edmund King argued that there is a role for electric vehicles, but that local authorities are essential to help progress with:
- The need for pioneers
- The need for early adopters – fleets – local authorities
- The need for incentives – national and local i.e. free parking
- The need for infrastructure – charge points
- The need for planners with vision
- The need to overcome range anxiety
- The need to address cost of batteries, safety issues
- The need for quick charge (five minutes to fill up petrol v five-hour EV charge)
- The need a change of attitudes towards vehicle ownership.