Fleet News

Get fully covered before travelling abroad

Company car drivers heading for the continent this summer need to make sure they are fully covered, warns Masterlease.

The number of British drivers taking their car to Europe on holiday has doubled in the last 10 years to approximately 3.5 million and around a quarter of drivers who take their car abroad could experience a breakdown.

Many fail to take out European breakdown cover for their company car, unaware that it could cost between £600 and £1,000 to have a vehicle repatriated. Equally, insurance has to be checked to make sure they are legal to drive on European roads.

Anthony Dowdall, head of operations at Masterlease, said: “Company car drivers assume that their company car warranty and breakdown cover will assist them in Europe. However, even if the business feels it is the driver’s responsibility to make sure they have the right cover; the car is the company’s property and the its responsibility.

“Fleet managers need to get this message across before people go away for the summer or risk starting the autumn with hefty bills to pay.”

Roadside assistance on the continent can cost over €100 and bringing home a stranded vehicle can cost much more.

As well as ensuring drivers have adequate insurance and breakdown cover, businesses should have a policy in place for driving overseas and make sure drivers have information about what to do if they break down or have an accident abroad.

Drivers should also be aware of which compulsory documents and equipment must be carried when driving on the continent.

Masterlease gives the following advice:

• Drivers should check with their company that they are authorised to take the car out of the UK

• In certain countries specific equipment has to be carried by drivers or risk a roadside fine. In France, for example, a hazard triangle, spare light bulbs and high-visibility jackets are required. Always check in relation to the country of destination

• Warranty cover may not have the same conditions in other countries

• Company car drivers abroad must also carry a letter of authority from the owner and proper identification. Where cars are on lease a ‘Vehicle on Hire’ certificate (VE103) must be obtained from the leasing company and carried by the driver

• Drivers should check with their company that the vehicle is insured to drive abroad. Although the company covers drivers at home, this does not necessarily mean drivers are protected abroad

• Businesses should check the roadside cover of their drivers, as it may need to be upgraded to include Europe

Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Login to comment


No comments have been made yet.

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee