Companies have been honoured for working hard to reduce road crashes involving at-work drivers at Brake's Fleet Safety Awards 2014, with Ocado, Travis Perkins and Mix Telematics all picking up two awards each.
Individual awards went to Ocado’s fleet training and development manager Neil Shaw (‘Road Risk Manager of the Year’) and Travis Perkins’ group transport risk manager Rachel Downs (‘Best Newcomer to Road Risk Management’).
The prestigious Kevin Storey Award for ‘Outstanding Commitment to Road Safety’ went to AlcoSense founder and CEO Hunter Abbott, a long-time Brake supporter who has been instrumental in raising awareness of the deadly risk of drink driving.
(See below for the full list of winners.)
The winners were announced at a gala dinner, sponsored by Arval, held on June 5 at St John's Hotel in Solihull, Birmingham, with a record attendance of nearly 300 guests.
Altogether, 112 awards entries were received from more than 40 organisations this year.
Generous donations, including silent auction bids and raffle ticket sales, raised more than £8,000 for Brake.
During the day more than 100 delegates attended Brake's Fleet Safety Conference, sponsored by Aviva, which featured speakers on a range of road safety topics.
Manager guidance reports on these topics will be published by Brake over the coming months, and made available for free to conference delegates and Brake subscribers.
25% membership discount for Brake's Fleet Safety Forum
In celebration of the Awards, Brake is offering a special discount to companies who want to reduce their road risk by joining Brake's Fleet Safety Forum, a not-for-profit service for fleet managers.
The Fleet Safety Forum is a low-cost subscription service offering free training, tools, and resources to companies with at-work drivers, to help them in reducing their road risk.
Annual subscription costs £155 +VAT and subscribers receive: free and discounted access to Brake's professional events; free training in Brake's Pledge to stop dangerous and unnecessary driving; e-bulletins containing the latest initiatives and research in fleet and road safety from across the globe; password access to the Brake Professional website containing guidance for managers and a host of resources for drivers; and posters.
Any company that joins the Fleet Safety Forum before Friday June 20, quoting code fsf-conf-14, will receive a 25% discount on their first year's subscription.
The 2014 Fleet Safety Award winners
- Company Driver Safety Award (small fleet), sponsored by Fleetmaster: Castrol Lubricants
- Company Driver Safety Award (medium fleet), sponsored by Fleetmaster: Ocado
- Company Driver Safety Award (large fleet), sponsored by Fleetmaster: Travis Perkins
- Eco Fleet Award, sponsored by Optimum Fleet: Tristar Worldwide Chauffeur Services
- Fleet Safety Analysis and Action Award, sponsored by ARI Fleet UK: E.ON UK
- Fleet Safety Innovation Award (operator), sponsored by Castrol: Mitie
- Fleet Safety Innovation Award (supplier), sponsored by Castrol: Mix Telematics
- Fleet Safety Partnership Award, sponsored by Trimble: BT and Interactive Driving Systems
- Fleet Safety Product Award, sponsored by QBE: Mix Telematics
- Road Safety in the Community Award, sponsored by Ocado: Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Safe Vehicles Award, sponsored by Road Haulage Association: Speedy Asset Services
- Road Risk Manager of the Year Award, sponsored by Licence Bureau: Neil Shaw (Ocado)
- Best Newcomer to Road Risk Management, sponsored by Specsavers: Rachel Downs (Travis Perkins)
- Kevin Storey Award for Outstanding Commitment to Road Safety, sponsored by Arriva: Hunter Abbott (AlcoSense)