Close Close
Fleet Events
Fleet News

Vauxhall calls for vehicle fire database

Vauxhall Zafira B

Vauxhall is calling for the establishment of a national vehicle fire database.

Speaking to the Transport Select Committee yesterday afternoon (Monday, February 7), Vauxhall representatives called on Government to help the automotive industry gain access to information about vehicle fires held by insurers.

The manufacturer says it understands that the Association of British Insurers (ABI) has written to the Transport Select Committee to say that, in principle, it supports the proposal.

Vauxhall believes that by accessing information from insurers, manufacturers may be able to identify potential issues earlier than at present.

Estimates for the number of vehicle fires vary widely, ranging from 18,000 per year to 100,000 per year.

Vauxhall previously admitted to the Transport Committee that it was “fortunate” no one has been seriously injured after more than 300 Zafiras caught fire in recent years.

By collecting data from insurers, Vauxhall says, it will be possible to gain a much more accurate picture of the number of fire cases and how they relate to specific models. Whilst the data will not reveal the causes of fire, it can nevertheless play an invaluable role in alerting manufacturers to potential issues much earlier than is possible at present.

Vauxhall also told the committee about the challenges manufacturers face in completing safety recalls. For example, whilst 166,000 UK-registered Zafira Bs have now had their second and final fix, 55,000 have not had the work done, despite owners receiving up to seven letters. These include thousands of vehicles without an MOT and thousands more ‘sold to trade’.

Vauxhall claims it is doing everything it can to reach the remaining vehicles, including co-operating with the AA and RAC to gain access to alternative contact information for owners.

However, the carmaker believes that industry and Government can work more effectively together to close the gap; for example by incorporating a check on outstanding safety recalls into the MOT process.

See the next edition of Fleet News for more on this story.           



Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Comment as guest


Login  /  Register

Comments

  • Tom - 07/02/2017 15:13

    "Incorporating a check on outstanding safety recalls into the MOT process." Would create safer roads and put a strong argument forward Not to change MOT's from 3 to 4 years

    Reply as guest

    Login  /  Register
  • Roger - 08/02/2017 14:14

    I have written twice to the transport minister in the past advocating that part of the MOT procedure should be to check that all relevant recall work has been done, is tagged, and logged at Licencing. Its not rocket science, but effective. The article makes the worrying point of the potential number of cars that might have not had the recall work done, yet be sold on. Checking at the MOT stage would help to ensure that this work is done. Equally there should be some way to check online whether your car is outstanding such work, and what it refers to.

    Reply as guest

    Login  /  Register