A five step guide to preparing for the Olympics from the Freight Transport Association.
1. Check your known delivery locations against the TfL postcode list available from www.tfl.gov.uk/developers (you will need to register)
2. If a postcode is affected, look at the ORN maps on the TfL website to determine how that delivery point will be restricted. Even if there are no additional restrictions to the delivery point, routing may be affected, so check your current routes against the ORN maps.
3. Talk to your customers about how their deliveries may be affected next summer. Ask for estimates of volumes. Can you deliver in a different way (Reduce, Retime, Reroute or Revise-mode)?
4. Consider how you will resource your business next summer. Plan your scheduled maintenance to minimise vehicle down time during the Olympics. Consider any changes to your staff holiday policy for the Olympics. Do you need to hire in more drivers or extra vehicles?
5. Check if there are any other operating restrictions that you need to overcome. Are all the vehicles you will be using in London compliant with the new tougher Low Emission Zone standards which take effect in January? Do you need to apply for a London Lorry Control Scheme permit if you wish to operate at night or at weekends in London? Do you have environmental restrictions at any of your operating centres which will prevent you from servicing your customers at night?