In a move set to make the cost of running an electric vehicle (EV) even more affordable, British Gas has today launched its first free nationwide charging package to include a home charge point and access to the nationwide POLAR public charging network.
Available from 1st July until 31st March 2015, the package includes:
- Installation of a home charge point (a 16 Amp data enabled Wall Box to help you keep track of your energy use) and an earthing connection for ensured safety
- Access to the POLAR network until the end of March 2014 for the use of more than 1,800 public charging points across the country
- A home-suitability survey by a British Gas electrician, and installation
- Access to Chargevision online account management and smart phone app
- Three year charge point warranty and three year parts and labour warranty
Open to anyone, not just British Gas customers, this offer is jointly funded through British Gas and the Government’s Office for Low Emission Vehicles, with access to the Polar network provided by Chargemaster.
Andreas Atkins, Head of Electric Vehicle Services at British Gas, said: “This offer is a milestone for the UK’s electric vehicle market. The number of electric vehicles on the road is predicted to hit 1.5m by 2020 and the Government funding scheme which makes this offer possible is doing a lot to help reduce the cost of owning an EV even further.
“As the offer is open to anyone it’s a great time for the friends or family of EV drivers to install electric vehicle charge points at their homes. For example, if someone is making a regular journey to and from a relative’s house then having a charge point at both destinations could be worthwhile.”
David Martell, Chief Executive of Chargemaster Plc said: “Chargemaster is pleased to work with British Gas on this project. Providing free Homecharge Units and free membership of POLAR is a great opportunity for EV owners to get the most out of their electric motoring.”
To find out more, visit www.britishgas.co.uk/electricvehicles
- Would free home charging points for staff encourage EV takeup in your fleet? Join the debate on our Facebook page at facebook.com/fleetnews