Ford has revealed the new Galaxy people carrier.
The new model includes a segment-first feature that raises third-row seats at the push of a button, to switch between load and passenger space.
Comfort is enhanced for front seat passengers with massaging Ford Multi-Contour Seats; and for rear seat passengers with integral link rear suspension that offers a smoother, quieter ride.
Technology on offer includes:
- Intelligent Speed Limiter, which when activated scans traffic signs and adjusts the throttle to help drivers stay within legal speed limits and avoid fines
- Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection, which will reduce the severity of some frontal collisions involving vehicles and pedestrians, or help drivers avoid some impacts altogether
- Glare-Free Highbeam technology for the adaptive LED headlamps, which detects vehicles ahead and fades out light that could dazzle oncoming drivers, while retaining maximum illumination for other areas
- Perpendicular Parking can detect and reverse the car hands-free into spaces alongside other cars in the same way that Active Park Assist helps drivers to parallel park
- Park-Out Assist helps drivers exit a parallel parking space, the system operating the steering while the driver operates the accelerator and brake
- Side Parking Aid delivers audible alerts and on-screen distance indicators to obstacles around the vehicle
- Cross Traffic Alert warns drivers reversing out of a parking space of vehicles that may soon be crossing behind them
- Front Split View Camera enhances the driver's field of vision when pulling out of a parking space or junction with a 180 degree camera system installed at the front of the Galaxy, and displays the image on the 8-inch high-resolution touchscreen in the centre console
"Families across Europe have grown up with the Galaxy. Customers are reassured by its ability to carry seven in first-class comfort and safety, and to constantly surprise with its unmatched versatility," said Roelant de Waard, vice president, marketing, sales and service, Ford of Europe.
"The all-new Galaxy enhances those qualities with improved dynamics, fuel efficiency and refinement - as well as useful innovations."
The Galaxy will be available with Ford's new 210PS 2.0-litre TDCi Bi-turbo diesel engine that offers enhanced responsiveness and 450Nm of torque from 2,000rpm.
"The new high-powered TDCi diesel engine follows the downsizing trend we've led with our EcoBoost petrol technology. Smaller engines deliver better fuel efficiency and emissions, and we claim the power back with advanced technology," said Andrew Brumley, chief engineer, Ford Engine Programs.
"Sequential bi-turbo technology delivers the seamless performance consumers want every day in all conditions, and makes turbo-lag a distant memory."
Ford's enhanced 2.0-litre TDCi diesel engine is offered with 120PS, 150PS and 180PS. Petrol engine options include Ford's new fuel-efficient 160PS 1.5-litre EcoBoost and 240PS 2.0-litre EcoBoost.
Emissions are to be confirmed.