Fleet News

Dangerous goods

If your vehicles carry dangerous items you need to register with the Environment Agency.

For this purpose, dangerous items include: toxic gases; butane gas; propane gas; explosives; fireworks; other flammable items; strong acids; and radioactive materials.

You must register if you carry more than certain prescribed quantities of these items and if you fail to register you could face a fine.

If you are registered, your vehicles must display the relevant orange sticker or stickers listing the nature of the danger.

The regulations require you to appoint a Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser. This is a person who has passed an approved course of instruction. You need not employ them, they can be a consultant.

Further information is available from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Source: Managing Your Company Cars; Colin Tourick

Most popular articles in Fleet Legal Best Practice

Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Comment as guest

Login  /  Register


No comments have been made yet.

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee