In the event of an accident there are a couple of steps all drivers must take to ensure they stay above the law.
- STOP! - In the event of any accident you must stop at the scene.
- Hazard Lights – Once you have stopped your vehicle, switch on your hazard lights to alert other road users.
- Alert the emergency services - If anyone is injured, or collision damage has caused a hazard or if other vehicles leave the scene of the accident without stopping, dial 999.
- Note the Reg – Make sure you note the registration number of all vehicles involved, plus further car details if able.
- Names and Contact Details – Obtain names and contact details of those involved in the accident plus anything else that may be of importance, ie: road conditions.
- Notify your insurance company
Animals – If an accident results in the injury of the following animals; horse, cattle, donkey, sheep, Pig, Goat or Dog, there is a legal obligation to stop and alert the authorities.