Assistant Transport Manager
Assist the Transport & Plant Manager in his role and provide cover in his absence as well as assist with the interaction between the traffic office team and the drivers.
Develop the effectiveness of the transport team operation with responsibility for assisting with the managing of the driver trainers, the development of new and existing drivers across all L&S sites (Portsmouth, Southampton and Fareham), and to make improvements across the fleet to fuel economy, incident management, and the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the LGV Drivers.
Ensure the company maintains its Good Repute by following all undertakings and legislation as per its Operators Licence General Undertakings.
- The rules on driver`s hours and tachographs are observed and proper records kept;
- Motor vehicles and trailers are not overloaded;
- Vehicles will operate within speed limits;
- Motor vehicles and trailers; including hired vehicles and trailers, are kept fit and serviceable;
- Drivers report promptly any defects or symptoms of defects that could prevent the safe operation of vehicles and/or trailers, and that any defects are promptly recorded in writing;
- Records are kept (for 15 months) of all driver defect reports, all safety inspections, routine maintenance and repairs to vehicles and trailers and these are made available upon request.
- In respect of each operating centre specified, that the number of authorised motor vehicles and the number of authorised trailers are kept there will not exceed the maximum numbers recorded against the operating centre.
- Liaise and communicate with the traffic team and drivers, and assist, if needed, when problems or issues arise that the traffic office team may need assistance with and help out in the traffic office if short-staffed.
- Coach, mentor, and educate the traffic office team and LGV drivers with regard to providing a first class service and improving upon customer communication and the overall customer experience.
- Promote health and safety awareness and understanding amongst the drivers.
- Conduct 6 monthly eye test checks on all drivers of Company vehicles.
- Undertake new driver inductions, assessments, and training, and issue Driver Induction Packs to new drivers and keep the packs up-to-date.
- Assist the Transport Manager with the compliance of company accreditations (FORS), company policies and control procedures (eg Company H&S Policy, Sharing the Road with Vulnerable Road Users, Mobile Phone Policy, Road Safety Policy, etc).
- Assist the Transport Manager with LGV Driver probation reviews, conduct, behaviour and discipline.
- Undertake return to work interviews with the LGV Drivers following their absence from work.
- Assist the Transport Manager with any LGV Driver related problems or issues.
- Arrange and conduct LGV driver interviews with potential candidates.
- Arrange agency drivers and source new providers and negotiate charge rates.
- Arrange driver assessments and training with the LGV Driver Trainers/Mentors.
- Assist in managing the LGV Driver Trainer/Mentors and ensure their time is utilised correctly in liaison with the Traffic Office team.
- Arrange regular driver training of all vehicle types within the fleet, ie Skips, Rollonoffs, Grabs, Tippers, Artics, VMCM, Vacuum Road Brush, Concrete Pump.
- Review accident/incident investigations and undertake post-accident and incident debriefs with the drivers.
- Analyse data and produce reports and recommendations to management.
- Review and analyse the data from the driver digital tachograph driver cards, eg infringements, by raising infringement awareness through driver training, and taking the necessary remedial action with the drivers in liaison with the Transport & Plant Manager.
- Attend the monthly H&S Meetings.
- Work flexibly and be receptive and adaptable to a changing environment within a fast-expanding Company.
Normal Working Hours:
Contractually: normal core hours of work will be between 7.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday, with an unpaid lunch break, although sites are operational from 6.00 am to 6.00 pm, Monday to Friday, and Saturday mornings as needed between 7.00 am to 2.00 pm. However, you will be required to work the hours necessary for the proper performance of your duties and responsibilities
You can apply this job via clicking the button below.