Fleet News

NDI in training call to car makers

A CALL has gone out to manufacturers to offer defensive driver training as a central part of their sales package to fleets, following the results of the NCAP crash tests. Driver training company NDI claims manufacturers invest millions of pounds in active and passive safety features such as ABS, airbags and side impact protection schemes, but ignore the driver.

Paul Austin, managing director of NDI, said statistics showed drivers were responsible for 95% of accidents - with mechanical failures accounting for the other 5% - therefore logic dictated that this was the area manufacturers and fleet managers should tackle to improve safety.

'While we applaud everything car manufacturers are doing on the safety front, we would like to see additional driver training being offered as a fundamental part of the sales process in the same way that warranties, finance deals or accessories are,' he said.

Currently, among mainstream car makers Mitsubishi offers free driver training, supplied by RoSPA, with every new Galant, and Audi with the new S8. Others, including Ford, Citroen, Nissan and Volkswagen offer driver training at preferential rates to corporate customers. Vauxhall's offer of free vouchers for instruction with BSM Fleet Training ended in March.

Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Login to comment

Comments

No comments have been made yet.

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee