Fleet News

Roads agency to begin telematics pilot study

THE Highways Agency is to conduct a pilot telematics study of two-way communication between vehicles and control centres along the M4, M25 and M23 corridors. The Road Traffic Advisor Project will see short range digital microwave communications systems installed along 350km of motorway.

These will transmit signals to in-vehicle units to provide real time traffic information to drivers via a dashboard display. In addition, roadside beacons will enable two-way communication between cars, buses and control centres, and plans are afoot to investigate on-board computers which will enable cars to communicate with each other so they can travel at constant speeds safe distances apart.

Much of the new information will come from the new Regional Traffic Control Centres, which will monitor traffic flow via closed circuit television systems on every link and junction of trunk roads, via road sensors, and via information providers such as Trafficmaster and AA Roadwatch.

The unveiling of the project coincided with the launch of the new role of the Highways Agency - first announced in the transport white paper - by roads minister Lord Whitty. This will see the agency become responsible for 70% of the UK's road network, with the remaining 30% handed to local authorities, following agreement.

Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Login to comment

Comments

No comments have been made yet.

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee