Fleet News

Northgate launches into Europe

BRITAIN'S biggest rental firm, Northgate, has launched into Europe with a £9.8million deal to buy a major stake in a Spanish rental firm.

The deal gives Northgate a 40% stake in Furgonetas de Alquiler SA (Fualsa) of Spain, in the first stage of plans to take successful Northgate products to the heart of Europe. As part of the deal, Northgate has options to acquire the remaining 60% by May 31, 2006.

Fualsa is one of the largest van rental companies in Spain and was formerly family-owned. Its current fleet size stands at about 10,000 vehicles, of which approximately 6,200 are vans.

Northgate chief executive Steve Smith, said: 'This is the first step in building up a presence in Europe which will complement our continued growth in the domestic rental market.

'We see this as a fantastic opportunity to establish our products into the European environment. We are convinced that the quality of the company we have purchased and the structure of the deal give us an ideal platform to replicate the success we have enjoyed in the UK.'

Research by Northgate suggested Spain was the fastest growing rental market in Europe.

Luis Acebes, president of Fualsa, said: 'We look forward to working together in Spain to make our two companies even more successful together than they have been individually.'

Fualsa had sales in the 12-month period ended December 31, 2001 of 37.9 million Euros (£24.2 million) and profits before tax of 4.7 million Euros (£3 million).

Fualsa operates from headquarters in Madrid and has sites in Barcelona, Seville, Valladolid, Valencia and Zaragoza.

Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Login to comment

Comments

No comments have been made yet.

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee