Fleet News

Company car holds key to staff morale

COMPANY cars have been given a vote of confidence by Britain's workers, who rate them as more important than a generous holiday allowance or flexi-time working. A car also beats health care provision and only pension and profit sharing/bonus schemes are deemed more important by the nation's employees.

More than 700 employees were questioned in a major national study, with 68% of those who responded essential business users and the remaining 32% company drivers.

The study revealed that motorists are much more content with the choice of car they are offered, with 74% of all drivers saying they are fairly satisfied or very satisfied with their current choice range.

Research also shows there is a 10% increase in business mileage compared to last year, with both essential business users and status car drivers covering more miles on business-related journeys. Drivers' hours are increasing with a higher percentage of essential business users (32%) reporting spending more than 20 hours behind the wheel each week, double the number reported last year.

The findings come from Company Cars – The Driver Perspective report produced by Godfrey Davis Contract Hire, the business-to-business division of Bank of Scotland Vehicle Management.

GDCH suggests increasing road congestion and greater workloads being placed on staff due to economic pressure are the main reasons for the increase in drivers' hours.

Nigel Underdown, head of customer relationships of Bank of Scotland Vehicle Management, said: 'Companies legally have a 'duty of care' to all employees and that includes company car drivers. The report's findings clearly indicate that this is not being fully exercised in many cases.'

Among the report's other key findings are a movement towards smaller engined cars and diesel cars in response to tax changes. In an encouraging sign for safety, 91% of drivers believe that hand-held phones affect driving and 88% support a ban on using hand-held phones while driving.

Half of drivers support the use of speed cameras but only 22% of drivers back congestion charging and 27% toll roads, the report said. It also found that only a third of drivers were aware of their employer having a policy on mobile phone use but only one in five employers check driving licences at least annually.

  • Copies of the report, priced at £95, are available by contacting Godfrey Davis Contract Hire, on 020 8420 5596.
  • What do you think? Email fleetnews@emap.com
  • Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

    Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

    Login to comment

    Comments

    No comments have been made yet.

    Compare costs of your company cars

    Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

    What is your BIK car tax liability?

    The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee