Fleet News

Irish speed limits change to metric

SPEED limits in Ireland have gone metric, changing from miles to kilometres per hour. As a result of the changes, the speed limits across Ireland have changed, falling on 91% of its roads and increasing on the remaining 9%.

The current general speed limit of 60mph has been abolished and in its place the limit on national roads (N), which include most dual carriageways, will increase to 100kph (62mph). The speed limit on rural regional and local (L) roads will change from 60mph to 80kph (50mph). Limits in built-up towns and cities change from 30mph to 50kph (31mph) and motorways from 70mph to 120kph (74mph).

A E2.5 million public awareness campaign prepared motorists for the change.

Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Login to comment

Comments

No comments have been made yet.

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee