Fleet News

Careers helpline

KEY questions answered by the experts. <:P> Q: MOST job adverts ask for relevant experience, but in many cases I do not have it. I cannot afford to give up my job at present, so how do I get this experience?

A: EXPERIENCE may be gained in a number of ways including:

  • Voluntary work – for organisations related to the work you want to do. Volunteering can give you confidence, experience and skills that you can use in work.

    Contact organisations that do the work you are interested in or look out for volunteer positions in local newspapers. There are also websites – www.do-it.org.uk, www.timebank.org.uk or www.volunteering.org.uk.

  • Improve your skills/qualifications by taking a part-time related course such as computer skills, counselling or a foundation course. This demonstrates your motivation to take charge of your development and skills for a new career.

  • Work placement – instead of taking a holiday, try a work placement for a few weeks to demonstrate your commitment while gaining valuable experience.

    Apply for jobs that will use your current experience in the environment you want to work.

    Administration support for social services may lead to other opportunities in the future.

  • Recruitment agencies –contact agencies that provide temporary staff – they may provide induction training which can lead to working towards recognised qualifications as well as developing your contacts in the industry.

    Lifelong learning advisor, Learndirect advice line

  • Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

    Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

    Login to comment


    No comments have been made yet.

    Compare costs of your company cars

    Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

    What is your BIK car tax liability?

    The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee