Problems with diesel particulate filters may push companies towards petrol

Driver ignorance could push petrol back up the fleet agenda if problems persist with diesel particulate filters (DPFs).

Car manufacturers say the only issue with DPF technology is that if a vehicle’s exhaust doesn’t get hot enough to burn off the collected soot, the filter can become blocked and a dashboard warning light may come on.

This can be down to repeated shorter trips in an urban/stop-start environment.

The exhaust emissions standards for new cars have effectively required fitment of a DPF in the exhaust of diesel cars since 2009 when the Euro 5 standard came into force.

In fact, many cars registered before 2009 will have had one fitted in anticipation of the change in standards.

The standards aim to deliver an 80% reduction in diesel particulate (soot) emissions, but the technology is not without its problems – AA patrols are regularly called to cars with the particulate filter warning light on indicating a partial blockage of the filter.

Even if an employee’s driving isn’t mainly urban/stop-start, changes to driving style may be required to get the most from these systems.

Mears Group operates around 1,200 vehicles within the M25 and is considering the implications of DPF technology as it considers changes to its van fleet. Fleet manager Jo Hammonds said: “For the larger vans it’s not so much of an issue as you will have to take diesel, but for the car-derived vans do we go for a 1.1-litre to 1.2-litre petrol or a 1.4-litre diesel?”

Hammonds added: “Petrol is very much back on the agenda and I think problems with DPFs will sway policy for us in central London.”

The Salvation Army switched its 750-strong car fleet to petrol in 2010 and fleet co-ordinator Peter Bonney says his DPF problems began with some Euro 4 vehicles that had the technology fitted.

“We understood Euro 5 was bringing them in, but what we didn’t know was to achieve Euro 4 some manufacturers had fitted DPFs,” said Bonney. “Manufacturers were not communicating what the issues were with us.”

Peugeot said its DPF technology – badged FAP – has evolved since introduction in 2001 and was now in its third generation. The system is standard on all 2001-built Euro 4 models as well as newer cars.

A spokesman said dealers had traditionally covered DPF unclogging outside of warranty as a goodwill gesture. This generally involves changing the filter or forcing the vehicle through a ‘regeneration’.

He added that the best solution was to avoid the problem in the first place. “All our literature ensures the customer, either fleet or retail, is encouraged to match the vehicle to their needs,” he said.

“We include a specific section on FAP in our academy training and have an e-learning module on this topic for all customer-facing staff.”

A BMW spokesman said drivers should make a journey longer than 30 minutes each week so the exhaust can reach the optimum temperature.

He added that as the DPF blockage wasn’t a design fault, who should pay for repairs is judged on a case-by-case basis.

“There may be other factors that have an impact on the car’s performance and these would be taken into consideration. It would not be sufficient for any issue to be covered by BMW without question,” he explained.

Volkswagen Group said its brands had carried out extensive training with retailers to ensure customers were made aware of the DPF’s existence and maintenance requirements.

“A large amount of small fleet business is done through the dealer network, so our dedicated fleet sales teams ensure the correct car is sold and the right maintenance available,” said a spokesman.

She added that for larger corporate customers the policy was fleet manager education.

Ford said in the case of a DPF failure it needed to understand the full reasons behind it to decide if the repair could be covered under warranty.

“We have updated our dealer training processes to improve understanding of diagnostic read-outs,” said a spokesman.

Ford has also introduced some tips in owner handbooks to help.

These include warning drivers not to park or idle the vehicle over dry leaves, grass or other combustible materials because of the heat generated during regeneration.

Vauxhall confirmed it “does not pay under warranty” for DPF blockages because there is no defect with the vehicle.

Both Ford and Mercedes-Benz DPFs feature an automatic cleaning cycle.

Renault doesn’t have advice in its owner manuals because it says the customer – both fleet and retail – should have been qualified as right for diesel at the point of sale.

“We will cover the first forced regeneration and after that it will become the customer’s responsibility,” said a spokesman.

“If the forced regeneration is required as a result of another factor not linked to conditions of use, then normal warranty conditions would apply.”

The AA advises that it’s important to read the relevant section of the handbook where a vehicle has a DPF fitted, so that the driver understands exactly what actions to take if the warning light illuminates and how, if at all, their driving style may need to be adjusted to ensure maximum DPF efficiency and life.

Comments

• Mike S - 26/01/2012 16:16

This is rapidly becoming a big issue but there are new additives available which help the regeneration process on diesels fitted with DPFs. This is alot easier and safer than trying to hurtle round the M25 at high revs just to try and get the exhaust up to temperature. Have a look at this http://www.jlmlubricants.com/jlm-diesel-particulate-filters-cleaner.html

• Cameron Bryce - 11/10/2012 12:47

We have started using a company called DPF clean team for our Diesel Particulate Filter problems. They offer 2 services, a forced re-gen in the vehicle @ £225 + VAT or an off vehicle clean (which can be seen, very impressive)@ £200 + VAT. Came across as very professional and we have used them 4 times without any issues

• Jo Smith - 19/01/2016 11:41

Hi Cameron, our UK company, Cgon Ltd have spent the last 7 years researching, developing, testing and patenting a new hydrogen fuel cell which has just been launched into the market. When fitted to an engine, it stops the build up in DPFs as it has a much higher combustion rate and therefore maintains cleanliness. In fact, the cell reduces emissions by 80% and saves around 25% on fuel. The cost of a box, fitted to your engine is less than what you have paid to have yours cleaned. Please get in touch if you want to find out more.

• Val Thorne - 22/01/2013 21:20

My filter light comes on even though I regularly do longer trips and I have been unable to attend appointments because once the warning light illuminates my handbook states that I must not switch off the engine but run it at over 2,000 revs until the light goes out. This makes my car not fit for purpose as I cannot rely on it.

• James Flynn - 26/02/2013 11:16

My experience with DPF is that they are really bad news and most of the manufacturers recommendations are inconsistent. I live in a country village and while I do make some short journeys of about 6 miles most journeys are over 30 miles and on 50, 60 or 70 mph limit roads. My filter has become blocked again just after two 60 mile long motorway trips at 70 mph. The car handbook says that the car should be driver at more than 37.5 mph., The dealer's technician says that the filter will clog up faster with motorway driving. Another dealer says that it only matters how many miles you drive in a year, more than about 5,000 is fine. The truth is that the technology is imperfect and should not have been foisted on the unsuspecting public. My next car will be diesel without a dpf or petrol.

• Andy - 01/10/2015 18:29

Hi I had a diesel I used an addictive because I did a lot of short trips very seldom did I ever get above 40 mph never had the light come on in 12000 miles but reading lots of dpf horrors I swapped back to a petrol car all diesel cars from 2006 have a dpf you can't buy a new car now without a dpf but if you still have dpf problems I can suggest a professional cat & dpf addictive to use every 2nd or 3rd tank of fuel and this will reduce the soot build up less regens better fuel economy more power

• Peter King - 30/04/2013 16:35

The other major problem with diesel power is the dual mass flywheel fitted to manual gearboxes. These are know to have a limited life, as little as 30,000 miles in some cases depending on driving style, and are expensive to replace. When factoring in the potential cost of replacing or maintaining dpfs, the higher initial cost of diesel power, and the unrealistic EU fuel consumption figures, the whole-life cost of owning a diesel begins to compare increasingly unfavourably with petrol power.

• Edward - 24/06/2013 11:10

First they introduced the EGR, which dropped NOx emission, but increased fuel consumption and soot emissions, they they then introduced DPFs, which further increased fuel consumption, increased pressure on the turbo, and cause numerous issues (the emission will be running even less economically when the DPF is blocked too). Roll on these 'improvements'

• Tom - 24/07/2013 21:20

Vw owner I replaced my filter at a cost of £1,650 a yr and a half later it failed again. 2yr warrenty a vw part and vw are refusing to replace it. Take my advise stick to petrol cars.

• andy - 18/10/2013 13:16

I had a vaxhaul zafira 3 years old had clogged dpf after owning it for 1vear .Lets leave the European union then we can get rid of them there are plenty of other ways to stop the particles gettin into the atmosphere

• Frank Fowler - 18/12/2013 19:58

When will the authorities and consumers involved wake up and realise that this DPF issue is another case of miss-selling on a par with PPI and acquire the balls to do something about it? I am currently fighting a case with a Citroen dealer concerning my wife's C3 Picasso. DPF blockage has been a continuing problem from about two years old. I can find no indication in the Warranty documents that the DPF is excluded and in addition we were given no indication of any potential problems at the point of sale plus the drivers manual mentions absolutely nothing with regard to driving style requirements or regeneration. Given this state of affairs I am of the opinion that the vehicle is clearly not fit for purpose under the current Sale of Goods Act however the dealership's attitude seems to be that it is my fault for not utilising it in the manner they ASSUMED it would be.

• Eddie Oliver - 02/01/2014 17:32

In America they just can't shift diesel cars, only BMW and VW seem to try, gasoline cars outsell diesels by over 15 to 1. Large vans still come with gasoline engines, the new Transit will be offered in the USA for the first time. The engine? A V6 petrol.

• gary mills - 16/02/2014 19:01

my Renault van was sold to me without a mention of this particulate filter and the regeneration process I told the dealer I only do 3 000 miles a year they laughed and said you wont put much diesel in so now it is in for a new filter would not of bought this van if I new all what I know now I think I was mis sold this van

• geoffrey harrison - 21/02/2014 17:32

Having stumbled into the nightmare that is DPF and for days tried and failed to find a logical answer I must conclude its petrol!.

• brian cornwall - 05/05/2014 12:02

usual nonsence from europe and governments they,ve set the rules, we all get lead up the garden path, change too diese,l the price goes up, now the extra costs of failed dpfs lets hit the motorist again in the pocket, these should be made to cope with todays driving conditions,

• Gail Campbell - 10/05/2014 16:38

My husband and I bought a brand new Corsa 1.3 diesel car for both daughters to drive, after just 2 weeks of driving and just over 500 miles the dpf completely blocked and went into limp mode bursting the dpf pipe. At no time during the sale were we told about the dpf and what problems could occur. On several occasions the car was on long journeys on both motorways and dual carriage ways and then short stop/ start journeys. We were told by the garage where the car was bought from that the dpf was completely blocked to 174% and that "dirty" fuel could be the cause of this problem. In all reality what is the likely hood of a dpf blocking in such a short time. I have spoken to several people and they seem to think it was a faulty filter to start with. Should we fight over the warranty issues? Your comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Frank Fowler - 12/05/2014 18:16

@Gail Campbell - Hello Gail. Firstly, from how you describe your driving pattern the DPF should not be causing problems. From your description, its root cause may not even lie with the DPF. It is possible that one or more of the injectors has broken down and as a result the engine is being over-fuelled. If that is the case your comparative long journeys will not have burnt off deposits in the filter as it should have done but only made the problem worse. It sounds to me as your dealer is using the known problems with the DPF and comments concerning 'dirty' fuel as an excuse for not looking any further that the end of his proverbial nose! At the end of the day it depends on how you want to play it but personally, given the age of the car I would Inform the dealer that you consider the vehicle not fit for purpose under the relevant Sale of Goods Act and intend you intend to return it for a full refund. Stick to you guns, know you rights (talk to Citizens Advice) and don't be dismissed as idiots which I guarantee is how the dealership will see you. Good luck.

• Paul Fielding - 13/08/2014 22:04

@Gail Campbell - I also have a Corsa 1.3 the particle filter was never mentioned during the purchase and yes the particle filter has blocked in about 4 months from new the car has been in the dealership 3 times for problems around the filter. tonight the car literally lost all power while driving and required AA assistance to get the car back on the road this is only two weeks after a full dealer regeneration surely the dealers need to ask about driving needs before selling cars with particle filters.

• Andy - 10/05/2014 20:03

Dpf,s can be removed and the engine remapped it costs about 2 to300 quid but boy it's worth it no blocked filters better performance

• Steve - 21/07/2014 21:04

@Andy - Hi Andy, they have changed the MOT to now include DPF checks, and if its been removed your car fails.

• Matty - 28/02/2015 15:38

@Steve - You're partly right Steve, if its missing it SHOULD fail, but if its still there and gutted and remapped, it will pass as long as the emissions aren't too high.

• kelly - 16/06/2014 21:23

I have a 3 series BMW 325D. there is 150K miles on it. Motorway driving, and Ive had 4 DPF's fitted, last one was fitted in 2012, one in 2011, BMW blaming driving style as the cause. Brought the Car to another BMW garage, DPF light came on, they completed a regen, but continue to say, that I would have to return to the orignial BMW garage, as there is still a series problem with the DPF and it would need to be replaced, they are not willing to take over another BMW garage's work. SO 2 hours a day on the motorway, is not enough for the DPF, yet I have to pay another 3,500 pounds for yet another DPF from BMW. they will not accept responsibility

• John Harris - 24/06/2014 12:55

I own an independent garage, and had a customer with a VW Crafter come into me with a reported DPF problem. We fitted a genuine VW DPF and sent the vehicle to the local main dealer to extinguish lights as required. Customer took vehicle and ran ok for 2.5 months then the warning lights came on. I advised him to take it straight back to the VW dealer, they refused to look at it because they were no longer a VW Franchise. It then got recovered to a second VW Franchise, whom proceeded to diagnose the vehicle with a saturated DPF and informed customer it required a new DPF. He produced all relevant paperwork giving dates and information of work done, but they refused to repair vehicle under warranty. Under normal circumstances I would be inclined to agree but, the work they have carried out to rectify the fault was exactly the same as we had done previously, so given that no fuel system changes had been implicated or any software updates had not been carried out, how could it not be a warranty issue?

• Bob - 26/06/2014 15:19

This shows how ignorant we are when purchasing diesel cars we automatically think you get more mpg whith deisel cars and not factor in how deisel cars operate now with the DPF filters. This thred has opened my eyes, and is very informative.

• Peter MacGillivray. - 06/07/2014 16:57

I have a new Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8 diesel, which is used for giuded tours in the highlands of scotland. I do not drive at 30mph all the time, i give it plenty of acceleration as i know it has a dpf filter and needs to be used. the vehicle has only done 7,000mls and the light came on, it was diagnosed as the scensor. five weeks waiting for a new one, and was fitted 2 days ago. After a journey of 100 mls returning home, and not driving at snails pace, the light is back on the next day and has not gone out? yes it is under warranty, and yes, i will return until they fix this stupid idea, even if it takes 10 return visits under the warranty, for goodness sake manufacturers get a grip of this, we, the public, are paying a lot of money to buy these vehicles, we don't want to keep going back with this problem.

• Deborah Bacon - 22/07/2014 01:47

The first time I was made aware of this concern was when I had been left car less and in the garage picking up my repaired vehicle.Unacceptable

• Ray Hardy - 10/08/2014 13:52

I went into a Vauxhall agent to buy a diesel Mocha for my wife and was advised that unless she did regular journeys of 40 miles or more and at motorway speeds, the DPF would block. They said the filter would fail after a short number of regenerations and a new one would need fitting. Not covered by warranty and costs over £800. They were honest and said I should buy a petrol version.

• Bob Anderson - 17/08/2014 11:28

Hi-I have a 1.9 Vauxhall Vivaro van bought from a large main dealer less than a year ago and which is under warranty still.The dpf warning light came on at 10,000 miles and when i took it to the supplying dealer they said not under warranty but I would have to take to another branch of their's who deal in vans for them to check.THey carried out a forced regeneration (Free of charge) and told me it was because of all the short journeys I do around town and I should run it on the motorway weekly for at least 20 miles or 15 minutes at a constant 3000 rpm.I have donbe this every week now and after 4000 miles the DPF light is back on.I am self employed and am at my wits end as I bought new to prevent running costs.The sales people never enquired whether the vehicle was for long or short journeys and wonder if anyone has any experience with dealing with Trading Standards on this issue.I have a young family and much more of this will put me out of business

• Ken H - 16/09/2014 15:51

Surely a device, a DPF, which is part of the engine design, and has been fitted from new, should function in ALL driving conditions urban or motorway.

• kelly - 16/09/2014 20:08

@Ken H - you would think so. The sales guys fail to mention that diesel cars are not fit for short journey trips. It's easy money for the garages. In Ireland, we have to pay BMW €80 to diagnose the DPF light. Then another €140 to force a regen. Only to have to cone back a month later to be told a new DPF is required. In Ireland BMW charge €3,500 for a new DPF. I've had several fitted, on a 2006 BMW, motorway driving. Yet BMW insist it's drivers style driving that keeps destroying the DPF.

• JonHaddock - 13/06/2016 14:34

the problem is that a DPF regen needs the engine to be at full working temperature and revs to be around 3000 rpm ( depending on the engine, but thereabouts). Basically, if you are driving a BMW, it's going to be a fairly large engined car, and at motorway speeds, not turning at 3000 rpm. You need to either drop a couple of gears to get the engine spinning, or buy a smaller deisel engined car more suitable for speeds no higher than 70-80. My partner has a 90 bhp 1.3 diesel and even that just reaches 3000 rpm at 70 mph....

• kev - 13/10/2014 13:49

What's the point of us trying to save fuel on short journeys, and then having to take our car on a long run to clean a filter.this is a waste of fuel so its bad for environment I think we should get rid of dpf buying a diesel was supposed to be about economy you may as well buy a petrol.

• Brian Lees - 07/11/2014 22:18

Why has Europse to suffer D p f's when India, China and the USA totally ignore the greenhouse gas problem!

• Edward weedon - 19/01/2015 11:43

Does your warranty cover cat converter in 9 month old new car that has done 4,000miles from new

• dave - 01/02/2015 14:16

dealer franchise conmen just cost me 700 pound dpf

• maureen owen - 15/02/2015 20:35

Got rid of my vauxhall because of problems will never buy another deisel untill they admit a problem and do somthing about it

• dave - 16/02/2015 05:54

dpf warning light back 2 weeks after paying 700 pound by british dont think so vauxhall

• Uldis - 19/03/2015 11:57

The problem is that traders will not warn about dpf filter and after the sale is denied warranty repairs. Arnold Clarks is the first

• zuzu - 19/03/2015 12:13

Dear people! Do not buy a car with a DPF filter.Bankrat.

• William Clarke - 30/03/2015 22:25

Great news for Lexus and it's Petrol Hybrid range of low emission vehicles Good quality fuel helps DPFs in my opinion, and the usage of the vehicles!

• miss patricia lenthall - 09/04/2015 17:48

I am a female greengrocer who have had major probs with this filter. I need a Van for my business but i never hit over 40mph The first time the light came on the dasboard renault replaced because noone had informed me of this feature. the second time it went they replaced it but only informed me a long journey is needed ... after the third and forth time ,, they finally told me in writing the type of driving i need to do make this filter work. So as a result on my only day off i have to drive for 40mins for no reason wasting diesel to get the filter hot enough to work and. clear the weekly soot bulid up. Edf filters are fitted to help the environment but how is using more diesel unnecessary helping??? I have asked to a refund/replacement but as there are no petrol vans made for size i need i am stuck with this. I have a renault trafic brought may 2014 I know after reading comments on the internet that i am not the only one having problems for their business requirement... something needs to happen.

• r yaxley - 12/04/2015 23:25

my wife has Vauxhall mocker nice car lots of extras but no one told her if she didn't drive on motor ways or at high speeds the filter would block ,, 3,500miles she had to pay for oil change, service 3 months later paid for another service for guarantee complained to Vauxhall told her its her fault didn't drive it fast enough

• barry stevens - 02/07/2015 14:12

what about insurance after dpf "removal" and remapping. AA say vehicle thus modded is not road legal?

• Peter Tomlinson - 01/08/2015 16:48

Those vehicles are clearly not fit for purpose, so it seems that its time for a class action. Have you owners tried to get the Consumers Assn people to take an interest? (I run a 21 yr old Citroen ZX TD hatchback...)

• Nigel - 07/07/2017 18:20

Hi Peter, I Had ax's Bx's a Zx a Xantia diesel and Now I have a C5 2.0l diesel which has reached 87K and I haven't had a problem with the DPF even on supermarket fuels, I do around 10K a year I liove next to the A14 and once a month to force a regen I drive forty miles in fourth gear at around 3 thousand rpm the regeneration process seems to work ok even in the winter, you can tell the regen has worked by the sooty deposits around the rear of the exhaust pipe. I also bought myself a lexia just in case and to learn more about the faults the computer can throw up at you from time to time, from easy diagnostics.

• keegan - 09/08/2015 19:44

hello my name is keegan , i am really lost between 2 cars the Peugeot 3008 1.6 diesel and the Suzuki s -cross 1.6 petrol , and both are automatic cars am trying to get a new car and now i have Kia Venga petrol , i don't drive a lot of miles at all , in 3 years i put less than 11000 miles on my Kia car and most of the time i drive locally and so can any one advice me and tell me what is better car for me the Peugeot 3008 1.6 diesel or the Suzuki s -cross 1.6 petrol automatic , i am disabled and i do need the car to go to my doctors and hospitals and for shopping also , and maybe in the summer i drive out side the city between 3 and 6 times to other city , so please can you tell me what is good to get , diesel or patrol ?? i am only worry about the filter problem with the diesel , because sometimes i don't even drive the car for 2 or 3 days , thank you for your help

• c.rystal - 25/08/2015 07:04

I own a 2005 Peugeot 807, roughly a week ago the FAP addative Level low came on, I booked it into a local garage to have the level topped up, they replaced 1ltr of 'eoils' but was only showing 70% full. The counters would not reset and it also showed a fault with the cap? My question is, if I take it back in to be done again, will this sort the problem? Or am I just going to be paying out to try n sort more problems caused by this? I travel a good 40 miles a day in it and meet NSL so I can't see the DPF being blocked?

• Mark - 31/08/2015 13:00

Vw passat 170 2007 model,had dpf terra cleaned at 365 pounds,lights back on,back to petrol I think.

• Chris Parker - 24/09/2015 13:10

Another "knee jerk" reaction? Many of us have been "guided" into buying diesel (which I personally enjoy driving) , then hybrid/electric and now we are veering back to petrol. The whole "Green Agenda" needs to be re-evaluated minus the spin and agendas. Eg Power stations burn wood pellets which lower CO2 levels. However the cutting down of trees in Canada and their transportation to the UK is NOT in the figures. Result more pollution overall.

• Charlie Moss - 26/09/2015 19:00

The system was flawed from the start. If manufacturers were allowed to continue there normal development programmes without the so called EU interference we would not be in the VW SITUATION today.

• jon - 04/10/2015 22:29

I own two dpf a van and 4x4 , when I bought previous A4 I bought case of millers diesel treatment and no problems before this car .Hope will be same for new one but this issue is costing £100 per year in treatment which should be in the fuel @ the start ! Bad legislation as causes more fuel to be used and pollution in regeneration as requires oil replacement ! Next time consult the trade and public

• Bruce Bagley - 22/10/2015 09:45

I had a Vauxhall zafira 1.9cdti. Dpf replaced,very expensive!!!!! After replacement, never ran as good.all sorts of lights coming on. In fact,it was in the garage 7 times with various problems. Local dealer&Vauxhall useless!!!!!!

• Martin - 26/10/2015 10:51

Reading your comments on DPF's my experience with Ford seems better than most as 2 filters were replaced under warranty. But now vehicle over 3 years old and out of warranty and so had to pay 50% of cost of latest filter change and re-generation. Only hope this will last until end of lease next June when we will go to petrol as these small diesels are clearly not fit for purpose.

• Why should I pay them when they cannot invoice accurately - 09/11/2015 14:56

Why do Run Your Fleet qualify for a Customer Service award when the only phone they list is an expensive 0844 no in contravention of the OFCOM regs.

• Paul - 03/12/2015 05:20

I purchased a brand new Nissan Qashqai 1.5 diesel on the advice of the man from the dealership assuring me dpf problems will not be an issue as its filter is closer to engine which raises the temperature quicker.Needless to say he got a sale and I have a vehicle that goes on limp mode without warning and a £250 bill from Nissan to resolve problem.If you're doing small trips DO NOT BUY A DIESEL FROM NISSAN , I subsequently was handed a few sheets of paper by the Nissan dealership explaining how "driving styles " should be changed and how the when the dpf warning light goes on you need to drive at greater speeds with higher revs for longer periods (Nissan Qashqai does not have such warning). This almost encourages a driver to drive like a teenager and take unnecessary trips to ensure the car remains in tact making the car less economical,the environment a worse off place and Nissan producing a vehicle that in my view is unfit for purpose.

• Busterrabbit - 07/01/2016 10:40

So if you live in London or any other large urban conurbation where are you expected drive at a steady speed for long enough to allow a DPF to regenerate? Much of the M25 is a car park for most of the day, even Sundays, any ideas?

• Alison - 03/01/2017 14:15

this is a massive problem! I drive on dual carriageway to work there is a roundabout bang in the middle of my commute which seems to completely mess up my chances of regenerating my DPF, despite the fact I drive 45 mins to and from work. I've come to the conclusion that a car with a DPF is not fit for any purpose! Even if you do mainly motorway driving, getting stuck in traffic or having a couple of roundabouts to navigate can interrupt the regeneration process and bingo, the DPF is clogged.

• CHARLES BROWN - 12/01/2016 12:57

Dear all, your article on DPF could not have been better timed. I own a “60” plate Ford Mondeo and recently my service light came on. Took it to my regular garage and they said it was a block filter. £380 lighter but with my car fixed he explained to me that, though I do a lot of mainly motorway mileage (25,000+), I was not producing sufficient heat in the exhaust system to burn the soot causing it to block. He recommended that once a month, on my way home, (a 25 mile trip), I leave the engine in 4th or 5th gear causing the engine to rev nearer 3,000 rpm rather than the 2,000 it normally does and this should help. I realise this is not use for those with auto gearboxes but it might help others

• nigel - 08/02/2016 21:54

I've heard, but I don't know if it's true, supermarket diesel has a higher content of bio diesel in it. I've also heard that this has a big detrimental effect on the DPF. Anybody know more???

• Keith Sheffield - 26/03/2016 21:41

I have had a nightmare time with my Dacia sandero step way clogged after 5000miles while I do long journeys every week Dacia are a disgraceful company I had to pay £1000 to have car fixed after 18500miles .dacia would not repair car even though it is under warranty .

• Dave Barry - 26/03/2016 21:57

So pleased to have discovered this website .i have found Dacia to be beyond awful . Thought I was the only one who has a major problem with a dpf they said I caused the problem. We should start an action group about dpf filters.

• Peter - 10/05/2016 14:25

'Inventing' a journey longer than 30 minutes each week seems like a really good way of protecting the environment! Of course it's the manufacturers fault. You only need to make short journeys? Great, you're helping the environment ..... Not!!!

• Lagonda Rapide - 19/05/2016 15:20

what dipstick thought that DPFs were a good idea??

• Terry Williams - 07/07/2016 14:01

This is all very well, but when I bought my diesel car nothing was mentioned about DPF's. As this is such a problem why do manufacturers not fit an easily replaceble DPF? In a convenient position to reduce the cost to motorists £1000 is ridiculous, in all other aspects of industry filters are alway an expendable item easily replaced at minimal cost. They Suck!!!

• Dave - 15/08/2016 13:30

I own a diesel Honda Civic 2.2 which is under 4 years old and has done 34000 miles. DPF warning light came on during a 50 mile journey. Taken by car transporter to Honda dealership. Advised that the dpf need replacing at a cost of over £3600. Honda customer relations say the vehicle is outside it 3 year/90000 warranty and are currently unwilling to assist. Reading various websites there is no consistent clear way that cars should be driven to avoid dpf's clogging up. If the Honda dealership had told me anything driving diesels, before I purchased the vehicle I would probably gone down the petrol route. All they did say was about the lower road tax and greater miles per gallon.

• Alison - 03/01/2017 14:04

We have had ongoing issues with our DPF on our Seat Altea XL. We were aware that Diesels were generally better for those doing a higher mileage and I commute 45 minutes each way on dual carriageway 4 days a week. The other days I might do one short trip to the supermarket and another 10 minute drive on dual carriageway. The DPF has clogged twice in the last 2 months. Instead of a forced regeneration at the garage we are looking into having the DPF removed and cleaned as we feel that the forced regeneration does not fully remove all the soot. I feel like our driving suits a diesel but the DPF still gets blocked? What makes the whole situation more infuriating is that we bought the car based partly on its green credentials and now we find out that it is a car affected by the VW emissions scandal. Our next car will not have a DPF and will not be a SEAT/VW.

• Adam - 30/01/2017 20:46

I have a 2010 VW Golf. At 97000 (101000 now) it was serviced, MOT'd and had the emmisions update because of the VW emmisions scandal. I only do motorway mileage, not just pottering around town. Since then approx every 2500 miles, excessive soot/smoke can be seen coming from the exhaust (i had never seen this smoke before the emmiosions update). After a few miles the soot/smoke stops for another 2500 miles. Ive been told by a VW expert, the DPF is regenterating. Now my DPF light has come on. Ive spoken to VW and they say that the DPF issue i have is nothing to do with the emmisions update that they have done. I feel very hard done by, as i had NO trouble what so ever before the update I feel the issue im having is related to the update they have done.From reading your advice i will add a DPF cleaner to the fuel and see what happens, and go from there. I feel the fault lies with VW. can you give any advice?

• Antony Baggott - 19/11/2017 18:28

I bought a diesel for economy , as I only do short journeys on a day to day basis and go to my caravan on weekends it worked out well . now because of the dpf filter I find myself doing longer and faster journeys just trying to stop the filter blocking and putting on a warning light ! This is supposed to be better for the environment ? who comes up with these ideas because I don't think they have considered the bigger picture.