The Highways Agency took top honours at the TyreSafe Awards in recognition of its efforts in raising public awareness of tyre safety issues.
Stuart Jackson, chairman of TyreSafe said: “Tyre safety remains a serious concern in the UK, but on our own, we can only achieve so much.
“The Highways Agency is a thoroughly deserved winner of our principal award after such a fantastic couple of years supporting us, which has ensured that tyre safety is very firmly established and represented on the road safety agenda at the very highest levels.”
This year tyre safety has become one of the key priorities for the Agency.
A number of high profile initiatives it developed helped to significantly raise the profile and promote understanding of about the importance of regular tyre care and maintenance.
Tyre-related safety messages placed for the first time on variable message signs around the UK’s strategic road network, CCTV clips of tyre related incidents posted on social media sites and an educational animation were all among the work delivered.
Eight other awards were presented on the night ranging from vehicle manufacturers to safety in the community.
Full list of winners at the 2013 TyreSafe Awards:
- Tyre manufacturer – Giti Tire (UK) Ltd
- Tyre retailer – Micheldever Tyre Services / Protyre
- Franchise dealer – HiQ
- Independent garage – Jeff Fowkes Wheels Ltd
- Vehicle manufacturer – Ford
- Emergency services – Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service
- Safety in the community – Bedfordshire and Luton Casualty Reduction Partnership
- Champion of innovation – Staffordshire Safer Roads Partnership
- Outstanding contribution – Highways Agency