Allstar customers face increased fuel charges

Customers of Britain’s biggest fuel card company will have to pay for the privilege of using its services in the future after Allstar introduced a ‘network service fee’.

The move will cost fleets thousands of pounds, but the company has defended the charge by saying it’s unavoidable if it is to maintain its network and continue to invest in the company.

Jakes de Kock, marketing director at Allstar, said: “It’s a small charge, but we’re investing in the business with the aim of saving customers more money in the longer-term and making their job easier.”

The size of the fee will be dependent on a customer’s fuel usage, but Allstar said it will not be more than 2% of their overall fuel bill.

That could leave a 250-strong fleet travelling five million miles a year facing an annual fee of more than £16,000, in addition to a fuel bill of nearly £1 million, for using the Allstar card.

De Kock said: “We accept some customers are not going to be happy and they are obviously welcome to go to another fuel-buying solution, but they need to look at what the impact will be on their business, on their fleet and on their drivers.”

The news has infuriated many fleets, who have been beset with problems with Allstar’s online services over the past few weeks.

Businesses have been unable to access online accounts or download vital data and when they attempted to contact the call centre for help they were faced with long delays as they waited for their calls to be answered.

‘Unable to view fuel data’

One frustrated customer told Fleet News: “I’ve been unable to look at any fuel data for weeks and then when I’ve tried to phone the call centre it’s been 30 minutes or more before somebody’s even answered. It’s a shambles.

“I was already considering changing my fuel card because of this, but now they’re going to charge us for the privilege of using the card it’s made me more determined to change my provider.”

FleetCor Technologies bought the Allstar fuel card business from BNP Paribas in December 2011 for £194m, but was faced with transferring 30,000 customers and 1.1 million cardholders to its own processing platform from the old Arval system.

FleetCor’s Global Fleet Network platform has been developed over the past few years for its global fleet business and is used widely in other markets.

However, De Kock told Fleet News that it had faced problems migrating larger customers to the Global Fleet Network.

He said: “For the majority of customers it’s been quite straightforward, especially for the SME market. But where we still have a problem is with the bespoke reporting of some of the larger customers.

“That is the last piece of the puzzle that our IT department has been working 24/7 to get right.”

More follows on page two...

Click here for fuel and fuel cards best practice and procurement insight

Comments

• Paul Jackson - 11/02/2013 10:26

I'm just looking at a statement of one of our customers, there average spend per fill is £52.... and Allstar are charging £2 for these transactions. When I was at school that was nearer to 4%??? So I a assume are Allstar spending the £60m+ extra profit/fees per annum on...... ??
    In my business we show and guarantee the saving, and reduction in admin before even thinking of charging more, and then customers are happy to pay.

• Kate Rogers - 11/02/2013 11:48

I maintain we did not recieve notification of these charges either months or weeks before they were implemented. Allstar is no longer a viable, cost effective option for our company. Finding an alternative is proving time consuming and mind boggling however, the convenience of national coverage offered by Allstar is not worth the exorbitant additonal cost. Are there any small (car) fleet operators out there who can truly recommend an alternative card provider?

• Paul - 11/02/2013 11:55

@Kate Rogers - Yes there is and has 99% coverage (incl Supermarkets), for sub 100 fleets they charge £32 p.a. per card (about 20% of the Allstar fees).
      Solution is TMC Fuel Card (Visa Card) Tel 0843 222 6000

• Kate Rogers - 11/02/2013 12:02

@Paul - thank you for such a quick response - I hadn't come across them in my net trawl but will check them out now. thank you.

• Michael Ogden - 25/04/2013 20:59

@Kate Rogers -Big companies dont like to have adverse comments about themselves in the news so I suggest you email the following
      1. Your MP
      2, Your local newspaper
      3, fleetcorboard@fleetcor.com (the board of directors of FleetCor, the new owner of Allstarcard
      4. OFT
      5. Which?
      6. Any one else you can think of
      From my previous experience with other big corporations, you may not get a result but you will definitely upset Jakes De Kock when he gets a phone call from FleetCor to ask what the hell is going on.

• Tim Williams - 11/02/2013 12:06

We received no notification of this change to our terms and conditions either by post or by e-mail.
    Allstar are not responding to e-mails, never mind answering their phones. Their arrogance and the disregard they are showing their customers in incredible.

I have little doubt they stand to lose many customers over this.

Thanks for the suggestion of TMC, I'll be calling them soon.

• Kate Rogers - 11/02/2013 12:28

@Tim Williams - Hi Tim, I've been on the search for an alternative adn although I hadn't come across TMC, I have had particularly helpful conversations with a couple of companies with very good customer service. look at Forecourt Fuels, (0800 043 8999), The Fuelcard People (Sian, 01235773
      676) and The Fuel card company (Phil 01423 796947 - They are a sister company to Allstar!)I've got plenty of information to trawl through now it's just a case of identifying which will providewho our drivers with the best options.

• Jonathan - 11/02/2013 12:56

@Kate Rogers - Hi Kate, try the Shell card, it's the closest I've found to Allstars network. Http://www.thefuelcardcompany.co.uk/shell_cards.asp

• Paul - 11/02/2013 13:13

@Jonathan - If you are looking at doing this go direct to save providing even more income for Fleetcor, and it still falls well short of the 8000 outlets, increasing mileage and time for drivers. There are only 2 real options out there.

• Jon - 13/02/2013 09:30

The Fuel Card Company are owned by the same people as Arval (FleetCor) and their service charges are as bad, there are as many hidden fees. If you are looking into providers be sure to ask if their are any upfront or hidden card or account related fees and get it in writing!

• Bill Reeves - 11/02/2013 12:11

Most Fuel card providers seem to survive without additional surcharges and provide a discount on fuel purchased.Obviously FleetCor have misjudged the transfer of business costs and seeking to redress this through their customers.Arval has held a bond of £10,000 since our start of business with them 14 years ago. Do they expect to maintain that bond and charge us (based on our usage @ 2%) an additional £120 per week? How nieve to say we can find another provider if we wish. We have several options at no additional charge and will not be the last to make that move.

• Jeremy Sothcott - 11/02/2013 12:12

The Allstar system migration has caused big problems and the customer service is a PR disaster. I have sent numerous emails to the account manager and Head of Corporate and Public Sector and have not received any response. Has everyone at Allstar been told not to resond to customer queries? As a company, they should at least respond or send out some communication or post something on their site. Many of our drivers can't submit their mileage as their username/passwords are now not recognised all of a sudden and we have not received the monthly mileage report that Payroll use for deductions. Come on Allstar, look after your customers and sort it out quickly!

• Nathan - 11/02/2013 12:42

Hi Gareth,

e Kock explained: “What we want to do is invest in the network of more than 8,000 outlets – not only to maintain its size but to improve it further.”

Can it be explained how Arval are getting away with a statement like this? Arval do not own any fuel station themselves and so do not inccur any cost on "maintaning a network".

Can we have have an answer on exactly what Arval are 'maintaining'?

• Dave Davids - 11/02/2013 12:50

I have no idea why the OFT approved the Fleetcor takeover, AllStar has a monopoly over the UK fuel card business so now they can introduce penal charges and the customers have no real alternative. Shame on the OFT.

• Gareth Roberts - 11/02/2013 13:00

@Nathan... Thanks for your question Nathan. First of all the business has nothing to do with Arval now. BNP Paribas, the bank that owns Arval, sold its fuel card business to FleetCor in December 2011. However, you're right, FleetCor does not own the network, but when it says it costs money to 'maintain' it, it is referring to the cost of maintaining the relationship it has with the fuel providers so that its customers can use its fuel cards with them.

• Paul Jackson - 11/02/2013 13:08

@Gareth Roberts - Is that not what the MSC (Merchant Service Charge) is for. And all the real work what is done by the Aquiring Banks..... they process the card payments and provide the PDQ machines (unless the station has their own Point of Sale equipment, BP, Shell, Morrison, Tesco etc.) but still no real cost to Allstar.

• Sage & Onion - 11/02/2013 13:19

I find it incedulous how Allstar can even try to levy a transaction fee, on top of their customers paying full retail prices, especially after such abysmal service. Their strstegy must be to try to encourage larger volume fill-ups, thus securing volume from going elsewhere, and at the same time reduce the number of transactions, and therefore their overhead costs. A double whammy for them but not much for the customer.
    I haven't used any fuel card, ever, that wanted to charge me any sort of fee, whether that be an annual card fee or a transaction fee. If you went to Tescos to buy your weekly food shop and they wanted to charge you an entrance fee would you still shop there?
    Check out a branded fuel card, and don't be afraid to operate two fuel cards for convenience and to spread the risk. All you need is to invest in some software to import the two lots of fuel data into, then youve got all the info in one place.
    And negotiate the right deal with the branded card and you could end up paying between 2p and 4p per litre less than you do with Allstar.
    Why accept such shoddy service and then pay a premium for it? Convenience isn't insurmountable and is very overrated!

• Too Many Adverts - 11/02/2013 14:04

I personally don’t use All Star for my fleet needs or indeed any fuel card. I keep it simple and get the drivers to pay for their own fuel and then reimburse at AFR based on some accurate mileage claims. Why am I writing here? Because I get fed up of reading all the comments where people are using the all star problems to sell their own services. Want to advertise your product then pay Baur and have an advert and don’t hijack the post. Moderators please do something about this!

• 40,000 of us do use them, and have a voice - 11/02/2013 14:28

@Too Many Adverts - well 40,000 corporates do use Fuel cards, and need to, as AFR's are not actual and VAT is too hard on the admin.

• bristol_bri - 11/02/2013 14:33

@40,000 of us do use them, and have a voice - I believe the original comment from Too Many Adverts was directed not at the fleets debating the issue but at the comments left by suppliers plugging their own systems (which we have since deleted).

• Keith Wakefield - 11/02/2013 14:42

I'd simply pass a comment that Allstar are playing a dangerous game. A tax by stealth, we weren't forewarned of this ( Network Charge ) it just appeared at the bottom of out invoice. How long before the tax rises to 1.25 and so on! I also found that no-one was at home when I tried to contact them. I think it's time that we took another look at the market place as I'm sure many will. I'd have assumed that a small increase in the cost of the card would have been more agreeable than this option!

• Do not do what I did (or tell your drivers to do it either)... - 11/02/2013 15:03

@Keith Wakefield - Having the knowledge of the new charges I nearly run out of fuel trying to get my monies worth out of the £2 per fill.
      Not a good idea.

• Mike Fullalove - 11/02/2013 14:43

Allstar are still a shambles today, for the 5th time I have requested my monthly report to no avail besides the still ongoing shambles of getting an answer on the phone taking over 20 minutes to be answered, yet behold dial the new customer line and the answer is about immediate but no help.

• malcolm Blake - 11/02/2013 15:11

If you guys think you have problems you should be a retailer, you make little or no profit on the fuel you sell because of their high MSC charge and have to give up to 21 days credit. Now they want retailers to pay for chip and pin and make no profit. I have not had no self billing remittance for 4 weeks so I can not reconcile monies owed to my company correctly. They are an absolute joke.

• mmm - 11/02/2013 15:24

@malcolm Blake - As they have moved us corporates onto 7 days payment terms (as they have for most of us) they also make interest on that money too..... as they are not paying you for 3 weeks?

• Roy Slator (Managing director, the Best Partnership(Uk)Ltd - 11/02/2013 16:24

As a customer I can honestly say that we have NOT received any information informing our company of the new charges. Sharp practice is taking place here. I will be voting with my feet, today I instructed our company secretary to look for an alternative fuel card provider

• stephen woodward - 11/02/2013 16:37

absolute shambles, stick to Fuel Card Services, atleast they honest, im glad my contracts over and they have now been exposed

• Vijay Agnihotri - 11/02/2013 17:58

As a fuel retailer, the last four weeks have been a total joke. Authorisations are non existent! Allstar have the audacity to tell us to accept fuel cards manually at our own risk with no guaranteed payment. Allstar card holders are equally fed up and on occasions have used alternative methods of payment due to the time for Allstar to answer their authorisation lines. Total shambles

• Colin - 12/02/2013 15:14

@Too Many Adverts. Firstly, I'm a PR man for an Allstar/FleetCor competitor, in my sixth year of working with fuel cards. I'm not going to name the people concerned, as I'm not here to plug their wares. So, does this still mean that I'm not allowed to comment? If you're using the reimbursement model for fuel procurement, I can only assume that you don't have to manage more than a handful of vehicles ever used on company business - either that or you love administration. How many bits of paper and computer files do you have to juggle, reconcile and keep safely for HMRC? What do you do if a driver forgets to obtain or loses a receipt? Who says that the mileage claims are accurate? How long does it take to compile the necessary reports for HMRC, given that you have to input all the refuelling data, and analyse it, manually? How do your drivers feel - and have you ever asked them - about having to make interest-free loans to their employer? I'm guessing that you don't run HGVs, so you're probably only ever insisting that drivers lend the company up to £100 at a time? How simple do you find it to reclaim the VAT on fuel, given that you're not invoiced directly as required under the EU Sixth Directive? Does your VATman let you bend the rules and reclaim it, or do you just shrug it off as an unavoidable loss that it needn't be? I'm guessing that you don't care about the money, as you don't see any benefit in regularly being charged up to 4p per litre less than the national average pump price, 10p per litre less than motorway pump prices. You don't see any cashflow benefit, I guess, in paying for fuel up to a fortnight after it's been used - or in knowing in advance exactly what drivers will pay, anywhere in the country? And so on. I'd like to plug our client's fuel cards, but I recognise a lost cause when I see one. There's none so blind as those who just don't want to see. I'm hoping that the moderators will agree that I'm pushing a concept - one that's already embraced by tens of thousands of fleets - not a company or product, and will allow this post to stand.

• Linda Spooner - 13/02/2013 07:03

Re; Allstar. If Mr De Kock thinks normal service has been resumed he is very sadly mistaken. We have been with Allstar for around 20 years and have never experienced such a sham as this ever. Not only does it take forever to get through to anyone on the phone, sending e-mail asking someone to contact you is just a waste of time because they don't bother.Incidentaly I have had no apology from Allstar not even when they inadvertantly cancelled all our cards for the day causing all sorts of problems. There just not bothered anymore and that is proved when Mr De Kock said as stated in your piece "they are obviously welcome to go to another fuel-buying solution"

• Jakes de Kock - 13/02/2013 12:14

We apologise to our customers who have been experiencing difficulties in contacting the Allstar customer service team following our software migration. The new system will give us the flexibility to rapidly enhance our services to customers, including improved reporting, increased security via chip and pin, improved online account management and more accurate business / private fuel monitoring. In the meantime, the traffic to our call centre has increased significantly as we progress through this migration. Resolving these inevitable teething problems is our top priority and we have added an additional 40 heads within our customer call centre to cope with the additional traffic and to get service levels to an acceptable level.

We introduced a network service fee on card transactions towards the end of 2012 which was communicated to customers via our normal invoice runs. This fee represents a small percentage of overall fuel expense and is directly related to costs incurred supporting the cost of serving, maintaining and improving our vast network (95% of all fuel sites across the UK), and developing enhanced service products for our customers – throughout 2013 we will be introducing added security through chip and pin email invoicing and Smartphone apps. We have also just launched the new BMM mileage capture system available for Allstar customers.

The Allstar network is over three times larger than any other fuel card provider meaning our customers always have easy, convenient access to fuel - in no way do we want to encourage our very valued customers to discontinue working with us. We are working as hard as possible to resolve any issues and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

• Stuart Henderson - 13/02/2013 17:21

@Jakes de Kock -
      Apart from the Allstar card fiasco we are also having difficulties resolving a problem with an Arval contract hire agreement. We returned a car in September 2011 and we then received an invoice for excess mileage in January 2013!!! I have twice spoken to Arval customer services (17th & 28th Jan) to be told that they would look into it, but not immediately as they were busy and under staffed. I have received no phone call back from them yet, but they have taken the payment for the excess mileage by direct debit on 8th February. Your whole organisation is a complete shambles and apart from switching to another fuel card provider we will certainly never use you again for car hire/lease.

• Dave - 28/02/2013 22:55

@Jakes de Kock - "We introduced a network service fee on card transactions towards the end of 2012 which was communicated to customers via our normal invoice runs." Really? Are you sure? Jakes, if you think the Fleet Managers, Finance Directors and Owner/Managers of this country will accept that what you sent out as 'revised Terms' in Dec 2012 was a substitute for an advanced notification of new transactional charges, you are sadly misguided. I am certain that if you personally paid for something regularly using a piece of plastic, you'd expect clear, advanced written notice of new charges, what the amount will be and and the effective date. Instead it appears that Allstar thought new terms with "may" and "check our website regularly" would suffice OR did you mean "you will know what the charge is when you get your invoice"? If it's taking 4 days for your teams to respond to these queries that they are clearly inundated with, I think you have to accept that Allstar have messed up and so far, you're not doing a great job to dig your company out of this hole. If Allstar want to go some way to resolving this: 1) Accept you got it wrong 2) Credit the network fees 3) Go back to the drawing board and have a long hard think about whether you can enhance your network without charging this to the remaining customers in NSFs. It will look better for when the mainstream media picks this up and runs with it.

• joe baker - 13/02/2013 12:32

i understand this isnt a advertising forum
    i am purely here to help or advice any business that is interested in fuel cards or have any questions.
    ((why not have the info straight from a horses mouth ????))

• Free Fuel - 13/02/2013 16:16

@joe baker - Joe. Is this you http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/News/Uttlesford/Herts-police-catch-Stanted-petrol-thief-18092012.htm It looks like an interesting way to get fuel but not a long term measure. Sorry do not meant to offend just trying some mild level of humor.

• Colin Appleby - 13/02/2013 17:06

@Lee - Not a good call if your vehicles are up and down the motorways all day; BP has by far the best motorway coverage - and I don't see a BP card in their offering. Or Moto. Or supermarkets. Or independents. Or Diesel Direct (Keyfuels). And so on...

It's dead simple. Ask your potential supplier these questions:

Do you cover all of BP, Esso, Shell, Texaco, Moto, Diesel Direct, UK Fuels, independents and supermarkets?

Do you offer fixed-price refuelling, so that I can expect a typical saving of up to 4p per litre on national average pump prices?

Can I have a named, dedicated account manager with a direct line number, with a named back-up for when they're on holiday?

Do I get zero liability for lost or stolen cards?

Can I have custom reports to drop straight into my standard office packages?

Will I be refuelling without a transaction charge on top of the fuel cost?

Are you backed by a multi-billion international plc with decades in the fuel business?

If they can't say "yes" to every single question, reject them and move on to the next potential supplier.

• Soon to be ex Allstar Card Holder - 14/02/2013 10:38

@Jakes de Kock - We have about 200 allstar cards which we are cancelling. We will be moving to a non fleetcor solution. Don't bother replying to me in this forum because your company has put little effort in to discussing the issue with us directly. It’s also interesting the difference in the way allstar treat you when you ring in pretending to be a new customer (no charges! although I’m told by our account manager that they will be changing this) to how they treat companies that have been with them for very many years.

• JOANNE JOHNSON - 14/02/2013 12:02

Hi All, just wanted to add a piece of information that may be helpful. We only signed up in August - the T&C's stated they had to inform us of any changes. Apparently the notification was a new T&C page inserted in with a December invoice - Allstar have confirmed that nothing else was included to flag this change up. Charges were also not mentioned in the "Important Account Changes" pamplet we received on 24/12/2012. I have been contacting two gentleman who seem to be more reactive than others. We have asked them to withdraw their T&C's and credit us their fees - I am not expecting a good result to be honest and am currently looking at changing our cards. Also, just to be fair, the reports problem MR De Kock is not only for the top few customers. We cannot get any reports and only run 60 vehicles. I have also mentioned that an apology to the customers would be a starting point (and have noticed a message on their system regarding reports) but really the response has been woeful and customer service is almost non-existent at present.

• Colin Appleby - 14/02/2013 12:08

Ms. Johnson, there's nothing "only" about running 60 vehicles - if you just talked to the right fuel card people, you'd be welcomed with open arms. These days, anyone spending £500+ monthly could be cutting costs and admin with a fuel card, so you'd be a long way from being the smallest customer.

• SADE613 - 14/02/2013 12:48

@Colin Appleby - Correction to "only" duly noted - I only meant in relation to the top companies he was referring to in the article. I am looking at this very moment Mr Appleby. The Company name is NSHI and you are most welcome to call.

• john1972 - 14/02/2013 18:26

At least with AllStar you know what you are paying, many other companies promise 'typical saving of up to 4p per litre', but it never happens. You get a great price to start with and then it goes up and you end up paying more than the pump price. None of them will put in writing what they will definitely save you. I'm thinking credit card is the best way forward.

• Colin Appleby - 14/02/2013 18:54

John1972, as many thousands of satisfied customers know to their advantage, you're just plain wrong. But, if you want to pay pump prices, plus interest, and play with all the paperwork, go for it. Chacun a son gout, as the French like to say.

• john1972 - 15/02/2013 09:11

And many more thousands will back me up, you're right about the credit card, but it is still cheaper than what some of the cowboys out there charge, don't pretend it doesn't happen. I'm sure whoever you work for is different, of course.

• David Astley - 15/02/2013 12:30

Can't believe how bad this company is. I've been trying to get basic MPG information to help reduce our annual £60k spend. When I finally got though and asked for help with the MPG report, the operator didn't know what MPG was!
    On a second call to one of their analysts I asked when I would be able to use the reporting system only be to told they didn't have any dates. I'm still waiting for a call back with an update.
    Please can you recommend some alternatives?

• John Brady - 15/02/2013 12:47

Nothing but problems, with in correct details on cards, vehicle permitted to use cards at pumps with incorrect VRM's, if they think that there is no other company to go to,watch & see how many customers & money they lose, this will equal job losses in time.

• Joanna - 18/02/2013 08:44

I agree with Linda Spooner. I have sent several emails to both my named contacts and the general customer services email address and had no replies what so ever. Every time I phone and ask for my named contact he is either busy or away from his desk, and he never returns my calls. Its a terrible way to treat customers. Its as though All Star know there will be a backlash to their charges, so they are ignoring all those that contact them in the hope we will all give up and pay the charges.

• Lesley Watson - 19/02/2013 11:25

We are a small family-run private hire business and have used Allstar cards for 4 years because they are the only card that can be used by our drivers wherever they are in the country. The invoice that we have just received is for 432.63 litres with a service fee of £24. That has put a 5.5ppl on our fuel cost. We belong to the FairFuelUK campaign who (rightly) proclaim a victory for all the small people in this country when they manage to stop a 3ppl increase in fuel prices. For us, Allstar have just managed to increase our fuel by nearly double that amount in one stroke! That has effectively wiped out any profit that we make on our average Dorset to Heathrow run! I hope they are really proud of themselves!!

• martin - 20/02/2013 13:16

Hi,
    Allstar provide / supply a 'badged' diesel fuel card to Murco Petroleum.
    With the Murco Business Plus card you get fixed weekly prices at Murco sites or you can use the card nationally (at all Allstar accepting sites) with no Allstar surcharge. So even if you don't have any local Murco sites you can keep the same network of sites to buy from but don't pay the extra costs. Hope this helps.

• Lesley Watson - 20/02/2013 15:17

Martin, thank you for your information. We will look into that.

• Kristian - 21/02/2013 16:44

Allstar are currently charging most independent fuel retailers around 1.95% for an allstar transaction. An additional charge to the customer is topping up what must be a healthy profit margin for them. Add to this rising fuel prices and bingo! ITS CHRISTMAS COME EARLY FOR ALL AT ALLSTAR!!
    As an indipendant retailer we stopped accepting allstar cards for a long period of time mainly out of principal.

• Ian Lewis - 22/02/2013 11:59

Dreadful service from Allstar regarding the network Service Fee. They took 8 days to call back, and trying to send an e-mail via the link on their web site proved impossible. We only run a small fleet, but are looking at paying an additional £1500.00 a year for the privilege of having their card. Definitely changing our card provider.

• Lesley Watson - 22/02/2013 12:39

One of our drivers inadvertently started loading a premium-grade diesel, had got less than a litre in (0.83 litre, stopped and switched to the correct grade. When he paid both parts were entered on the same transaction slip. One transaction fee you would think? Oh no, on this week's invoice they have actually charged for each bit separate transaction fees. Our driver feels really upset. We are currently in the process of seitching cards. I think the problem is that like you, Ian Lewis, we are "only" going to be paying around £1400 p.a. in this network service fee and that is peanuts to them. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is something they have devised deliberately as a means of getting rid of a large number of "small fry" like us as we are too much of a bother to them!!

• David Hodkinson - 22/02/2013 16:54

Not sure where this 2% maximum charge is coming from? Our January fuel costs were £12,650 - yet we have a charge of £426 - that looks like 3.4% in my book!
    Still no sign of driver details on our invoice either.
    Just arranging an alternative provider.....

• Just askin' - 22/02/2013 17:05

Who is this "Martin" that's so keen to push Murco, over all the other products in the market? If Murco is the answer, it must be a weird question. Just sayin'...

• Chris Lowery - 23/02/2013 12:04

I have had majr problems with allstar re this transaction charge and it took over a week for someone to ring me back! We haven moved over to the shell multi network !

• Jeff Addley - 25/02/2013 08:37

My name if Jeff Addley and I am the fleet manager for HVMS ltd, we at the moment run a fleet of 92 vehicles and our weekly fuel spend is £10500. We have been using Allstar cards for four years without any trouble up until December 2012, we started to get cards declined at a lot of service stations which caused myself a lot of trouble, believe it or not I tried contacting Allstar around mid December and finally got hold of someone mid February (joke) this was after continuous phone calls being left on hold and not actually speaking with anyone, I sent emails that were not answered. When I finally got to speak to someone I then found out about what was going on and to this day I still have had no correspondence informing me of the additional charges. HVMS will be moving fuel card providers as soon as we can which is a huge head ache for me because no other fuel card has the coverage we need but when we are spending £500000 a year on fuel we expect a far greater service.

• Clare Makepeace - 26/02/2013 11:04

Over the past few weeks, we’ve seen a huge increase in new customer enquiries as a result of the introduction of transaction fees by our competitors. It would seem that the majority of these customers are now being asked to pay a £2.00 + VAT fee every time they make a purchase.

On a typical 50 litre transaction, this is equal to an additional 4 pence per litre in cost for no additional value. For businesses such as new and used vehicle dealers who may only put 5 or 6 litres in just to get the customer a few miles down the road, it could add as much as 40 pence to the cost of each litre.

As well as transaction fees, some fuel card suppliers also charge regular card fees and low or non-usage fees too for customers not drawing fuel to their full potential.

The message here is clear. Be sure to check with your current supplier for details of these kind of fees to ensure you’re not already being hit with them!

And if you’re considering opening a fuel card account with a new supplier, be sure to read the small print!

• Phil Livesey - 26/02/2013 14:53

Well I am one of those customer who neither got an email or a letter (surprise surprise) informing us of these Network services charges. Having spent the best part of 4 weeks trying to get an answer from Allstar on what these charges were that mysteriously appeared on the invoices, and being promised a return phone call as they had been inundated with queries. I have only managed to find out through a web search, and have still not had a return phone call. As for Mr De Kock's comment on the service fee will be no more than 2% of the overall invoice, we have been charged £2 per transaction. As a small business with only 5 vehicles in the fleet and an average cost of £70 per transaction this increases my fuel cost by 6p per ltr.
    We have voted with our feet and left Allstar. Maybe when larger organisations than ours start to leave Allstar they may reconsider, but I doubt it!!

• Kate - 27/02/2013 10:46

From one frustrated customer to another: I phoned the call centre too, after 30 minutes or more they eventually said that we had been informed of the Network Service Fee by Letter. Of which I haven't seen any, either in the post or on the email. Next they said the department dealing with this would call me back withing the next 12 days!!! I’ve been on their website to search for an explaination and you type in 'Fee or Service Fee', search cannot be found.

• Sue Gott - 27/02/2013 11:45

My recent private mileage data sheet for my fleet showed incorrect data from incorrect dates and did not even have the basic information such as the drivers names. After speaking to someone in the call centre I was promised an email I could send to everyone who had not managed to submit their mileage on line an option to complete their mileage for Janaury via the IVR line and give extra time. This information has still not come through. I also still do not have access to information of all those who have not submitted their mileage claims. Submission dates are now looming for February and January is stil not sorted.

It seems ludicrous to go live with a web site with obvious faults and the poor people in the call centre are trying to deal with situations they do not have the correct information or training to be able to handle our queries.

Now they also want to charge a transaction fee - have you thought of waiving the fees until you can get your website in order.

• Paul - 27/02/2013 12:45

Convenience isn't the be-all and end-all solution for fuel procurement on the road. For drivers covering a lot of miles it becomes easier to find one of the branded sites. It is just a matter of driver education and short-term pain does give long-term gain. Negotiate the right deal and the 4p per litre savings are achievable consistently. I speak from experience because we changed from Allstar in 2009 and we now operate a Branded card and a Keyfuels card (which is also owned by Fleetcor, which is why I'm keeping a close eye on developments here). If I detect any attempt by Fleetcor to offer us the same service and/or pricing policy as the Allstar card then I will be looking for a replacement for them quite quickly.

But for me, the biggest disappointment is that all the effort that fleets, and individuals, have put into supporting the FairFuelUK campaign, with some success, can be wiped out by the greed of Fleetcor/Allstar. In my view it seems that Fleetcor think that the UK customers were prepared to pay the extra duty for fuel and now that the government aren't taking it then they may as well have it instead. Totally my own opinion but Quentin Wilson should take Fletcor/Allstar to task with this and at least kick them off the FairFuelUK campaign because they are making a mockery of all the effort we put into it. Only yesterday, I received another email from FairFuelUK urging me to write to my MP to cut duty in the budget. Well I don't think I'm going to bother this time. Why? Because the government won't listen when they realise that someone else is willing and able to pinch their extra duty and the UK drivers/companies are willing to pay it.
    Fleetcor have therefore done more damage than they probably realise and I would much rather pay the government an extra 2.5p per litre than a greedy margin-based corporation. At least that way you're getting value from your money by seeing it re-invested into the country.

• Pat Rogerson - 02/04/2013 15:00

@Paul - Well said sir! I posted a comment on the FairFuelUk campaign website to point out the irony of Fleetcor supporting the campaign on one hand and charging their own "tax" on fuel. Guess what, they refused to post it! I wonder why?

• Steven Goodwin - 27/02/2013 15:19

We have now kicked Allstar into touch as they wanted to charge us £2 per transaction. As we have at least 50 of these cards and they are each used at least once a week we were looking at additional costs in excess of £100 per week! That's a extra 70 litre tank of fuel a week! The few employees we have with company credit cards will now use them for fuel as their will be no limitation on access and we now have FuelGenie cards for all other drivers. FuelGenie may only be accepted at Morrison and Tesco (for now at least) but it is completely free to use and most employees live or work withing 5 or 6 miles of one of the stores. We have told them that if they are caught short we will refund them for any payments they make out of their own pocket. PHH have got to suffer for all this!

• Pat Rogerson - 02/04/2013 14:55

@Steven Goodwin - Our costs are about £130.00 per week on a £1850.00 per week spend. Our drivers are purchasing small amounts as we collect and deliver cars, only putting in what is needed for the journey. I thought that highway robbery was outlawed sometime ago, seems I was mistaken.

• Penny - 27/02/2013 15:54

Warning - We have just recieved a charge for the annual card fee - an increase of 266% (that's if the fee is for twelve months not six). Charge period not stated on invoice. We also didn't receive any notice in writing or via email concenring the new fees

• Phil - 27/02/2013 16:10

@Penny - Our latest invoice that arrived today has charged the cards twice. But as we have already given them notice of immediate cancellation so we have ignored it and sent them a cheque just to cover the fuel. We have also cancelled the Direct Debit with the bank. 7 Years we have been with Allstar. Lets hope more leave and let us see this arrogant Company fall on their swords.

• Penny - 27/02/2013 16:42

@Phil - We have also been dealing with them for a number of years. Can't believe the way their treating their customers. Do you mind me asking who your've changed too?

• Phil - 27/02/2013 16:50

@Penny - We have applied for the Sainsbury's Fuel Card and a credit card for use when they can't find a Sainsburys. They also use the credit card to pay for stopping out. I had also Considered Fuel Genie, they are accepted at Morrisons and Tesco.

• Penny - 27/02/2013 17:42

@Phil - Thanks Phill - I'll look into this option :)

• Penny - 27/02/2013 16:33

I've just received a return call concerning the Card Fee - Stated system error charge has been dulpicated. Credit will follow

• Alex Blackmun - 27/02/2013 16:36

I too, was told yesterday that a letter was attached to an invoice in December confirming the fee. This was after I called them as I received an email on Friday which informed me I was now being charged the Network Service Fee. The weird thing is the email I sent them was chasing the reports I was overdue from January and February. I have been with Dial/Arval/Allstar for 15 years, but that will all end as soon as I can organise another solution. Shame on them, I hope they enjoy working with a smaller number of customers. I was thinking of looking at their leasing proposition but I won't deal with a company with their lack of respect for customers.

• Chris - 27/02/2013 16:37

Allstar will close down at this rate if the customers stop using them and giving bad service, serves them right!!!

• Gerry Purnell - 27/02/2013 16:38

Penny don't hold your breath I've been waiting since last Nov for a credit.

• Dave - 28/02/2013 17:53

Cancelled our company agreement today with Allstar BS as a result of network service fees. The introduction of these charges is a joke. Enhancing the "network" by charging the customer per transaction - surely they should finance that enhancement! Indirectly notified within new T&Cs that are vague and seemingly an open-ended chance to choose what they want to charge, when they want to and the "Customer" needs to check their website to find out when and why. Never received any specific notice. A large company's legal department will, I'm sure, love taking this action and the T&Cs addendum to pieces! Go on legal-beagles, I dare you! For those of us lower down the food chain: use the plastic, bag the airmiles and vote with your feet

• Mark Brown - 06/03/2013 14:10

We have been a LOYAL customer of Allstar/PHH since 2003 and spend in excess of £10k a week on fuel. I receive on average 2-3 phone calls a week from alternative fuel suppiers trying in vain to bid for our custom but have remained loyal. But it seems that LOYALTY as far as Allstar's concerned is meaningless. I have so far contacted them over 6 times to question the mysterious Network Charge which has suddenly appeared on our invoices and have been fobbed off with either different explainations, total denial or in the case of their 'new' customer sales dept just cut off because they couldn't be bothered to talk to me once they'd realised I was an existing customer!
    We are now moving suppliers to probably Texaco All Fuels because they can be used not only at Texaco but also Tesco, Morrisons and Moto which pretty well covers it.

UP AND LEAVE THEM NOW EVERYONE, THERES PLENTY MORE FISH...

Mark Brown
    General Manager
    Axis Parcel Service Ltd

• Kevin Tomlinson - 06/03/2013 14:18

Has anyone got a definitive answer on a viable alternative all fuels card privider Nationwide? Just received our invoice and noted all the new service charges. Cannot wait to appoint a new card provider and tell Allstar to cancel our £30k pm account!

• Stuart - 08/03/2013 14:56

@Kevin Tomlinson - Please call me I may be able to help. 01202 339192 my name is Stuart.

• bernard - 11/03/2013 13:40

we have another company we own so we have signed up with allstar and guess what.
    For the first year there is no £2 transaction fee.
    To do this you must however use a different address

• Sarah Ayers - 19/03/2013 16:19

I haven't come across anyone who actually received notice of the change. If they didn't let us know can they legally charge us the extra? I have kept ringing and no one rings me back or has sent me a duplicate of the letter they sent out. I'm thinking of going over to credit cards.

• Rhys West - 26/03/2013 14:14

I have also just discovered the "network service fee". I'm amazed allstar thought their customers would finance their network improvements. I have a tiny fuel cost in comparison to other users on here, looking for an alternative is a bit daunting. I have thought about a credit card system, but not keen. Currently looking at the Shell card. Has anyone found a suitable alternative.

• Phil Livesey - 29/04/2013 09:47

@Rhys West - We moved to Sainsburys Fuel Card.

• Roy Slator. Managing Director. The Best Partnership (UK) Ltd - 27/03/2013 08:56

Some weeks ago I left a message relating to the £2 admin charge added by Arval each time we refuelled a vehicle. I said at the time that we would vote with our feet, we have.
    Fuel Card services of Burnley now provide our fuel cards, This week we are saving around 5ppl on diesel and 1ppl on unleaded, and there is no £2 admin charge per fill, hopefully we will make a respectable saving over a full year.

• Patrick Rogerson - 02/04/2013 14:50

The arrogance of De Kock's comments just sums up the Allstar attitude to it's customers. As for the "will not be more than 2% of their overall fuel bill" statement. Can I hold them to this? Mine is running at 7.13% average since the charge was introduced. I hope that like us they manage to find a better and cheaper supplier who actually seems to be interested in looking after and keeping us a customer

• Christian Longlands - 10/04/2013 12:40

A ridiculous charge to introduce, especially in times when people are tightening belts and watching the pennies. If anyone would like an alternative I would be more than happy to help.

• Steve Hayes - 23/04/2013 12:46

Allstar, absolutely disgusted with them. My company has used this card for years and in February they renewed our card for the next 12 months. Cost per card £24.95. They due to system problems charged us for 20 cards and drew the funds from our account. When this became apparent to us we contacted their customer service dept who when they eventually answered the phone were worse than useless. The reason for the overcharge was due to system upgrade and we received assurances that the problem would be resolved in 7 days and the funds would be refunded. At 23rd April the refund has still not been made. This is inspite of numerous conversations and emails. Phone calls in excess of 30 minutes have become the norm due to 'dealing with other customers enquiries' and responses have been less than encouraging. My call today was eventually met with lots of sympathy from an account manger but as for any firm information as to when my £450 would be refunded the same statement was made, it is in the system and will be dealt with asap. The only fact that was stated today is that I wont receive a credit into my bank account , the money will be credited to our fuel bill! In 30 years in business I have never experienced such a shoddy couldn't care less business attitude as operated by Allstar. I am curious to know how many other customers have been hit by their overcharging and their reluctance to do the right thing and refund the money immediately it is made apparent to them. Their auto answer phone states exceptional numbers of calls are being made to them presently and their account managers apologise for the delays in resolving this problem due to the sheer numbers involved. Bearing in mind our experience,how much cash is this company sitting on at the moment having been wrongly deducted from customers accounts via D/D.

• Michael Ogden - 24/04/2013 07:12

Just been doing my VAT Return and started looking at the invoices from my fuel card with AllStarCard (previously Arval) to discover that they have started charging since 6/2/2013, apparently arbitrarily, a Network Service Fee which amounts to £2.00 + vat per transaction. That amounts to an extra £300 a year costs to my bottom line and an extra £40.40 so far. I am cancelling my cards with immediate effect although I have to give one months notice. I have been happily dealing with this company for about 7 years. They need to read Dale Carnegie's book " How to Win Friends and Influence People". Their terms and conditions are vague on this issue, although they included a copy of the terms and conditions with invoices in January 2013. One of thise terms states... If we make any changes to the fee tariff, we will post the revised fee tariff on our website indicating the date the revised fee was posted. It is your responsibility to check our website regularly to ensure you keep up to date .......I cannot find that has actually happened.

• David Barnes - 09/05/2013 22:04

@Michael Ogden - please could you tell me where about on the invoice the £2 appears as we cant find any sign of it. thank you.

• Michael Ogden - 25/04/2013 16:00

I have emailed the OFT, Which? and the Daily Telegraph
    and am informing my MP as big Corporations should not be permitted to treat their customers in such a cavalier manner and impose such unfair conditions.

• michael ogden - 25/04/2013 20:04

Big companies dont like to have adverse comments about them selves in the news so I suggest you email the following
    1. Your MP
    2, Your local newspaper
    4. OFT
    5. Which?
    6. Any one else you can think of
    From my previous experience with other big corporations, you may not get a result but you wiull definitely upset Jakes De Kock when he gets a phone call from FleeCor to ask what the hell is going on.

• bernard litman - 26/04/2013 13:37

THE ALLSTAR SAGA
    we have now received a demand letter from DWF on behalf of Allstar regarding our refusal to pay their admin fees and new card charges - we have asked them to bring it on

• michael ogden - 27/04/2013 09:10

I wrote to my MP and here is his reply
    Dear Mr Ogden

Thank you for writing to me about AllStar Fuel Cards and their decision to impose a new Network Service Fee.

In such circumstances, often the most effective way to express your views is to do precisely what you have done and simply withdraw your custom. I note many others have done the same, and consumer pressure in these cases can be very persuasive.

As you rightly point out, in April this year the Government introduced legislation that bans excessive payment surcharges to customers – but these new regulations prohibit traders from charging consumers more than the cost borne by the trader for the use of a given means of payment such as a credit card. It is generally expected they are narrow enough to apply only to charges levied for using a particularly type of payment.

It is through these Regulations that excessive charges for using particular payment methods has been stopped – but in terms of the Government intervening in network charges, I will have to ask the question – we are strictly bound by laws that prevent us from engaging in markets in many such cases.

I would be happy to draw this to the Minister’s attention and see what rules are in place to prevent such abuses – if any.

Very best

John

• Andrea Leggett - 01/05/2013 15:27

Allstar are useless. Haven't paid filling stations in Rep. of Ireland since December and cannot invoice card users as a result. No invoice from Allstar for 4 months.
    Now going elsewhere for fuel cards and if it works out will drop Allstar like the proverbial 'hot potato'.

• Steve Hayes - 07/05/2013 10:52

I received yet another reply from one of Allstars useless customer service executives this morning.
    He noted that he had noticed that we had still not received the credit from a note which had been raised in March. He went on to tell me that the cause of the overcharge in February was due to a systems error, so there we have it , nobody is to blame. That possibly explains why over the last 10 weeks I not received an apology from anybody for taking £450 out of my account incorrectly. I feel more reassured now that he has promised me that this will be dealt with ASAP. How many companies and individuals are contributing to Allstars bank balance and boosting their cash flow? Disgusting Company!

• Yet another disgruntled allstar customer - 15/05/2013 16:37

I have just recieved an e mail asking if I would like to take part in a market research project for allstar to ensure their meeting the needs of their "valued " customers. They will pay me £150 cash if I show up and talk to them for 1 hour. This is about the only way I will recoup some of the money they have conned my company out of. Has anyone else had one of these emails? probably just another scam by allstar

• Steve Hayes - 15/05/2013 16:55

Yes, I've had 2 of these mails recently 5 days apart, I don't know how many 'valued customers' they need' but they are obviously struggling to find any who feel valued!

• Yet another disgruntled allstar customer - 15/05/2013 17:35

just me and you then, I think that should be "ex" customers

• Keith Gypps - 29/05/2013 10:22

My business noticed that our direct debit payment was more then our receipts and when we contacted Allstar they told us that they had introduced a £2 per transaction fee, we were never notified about this and therefore cancelled the DD and switched to an alternative supplier. We then calculated what we owed and sent a cheque with a covering letter stating that it was in full and final payment, they have cashed the cheque and now put us in the hands of a debt collector whom is seeking £40 compensation for Allstars grief... Just scandalous and we will defend this to the hilt......

• Hayley - 30/05/2013 16:39

Anybody looking for an alternative to all star, where you don't have to pay the network service fee, card charges, annual fee etc and actually get to speak to someone straight away and not wait in an automated service. please let me know.

• bernard - 29/07/2013 15:12

we have now received a summons re non payment of network service charges which we are defending.
    i will let everyone know the outcome

• Steve Hayes - 29/07/2013 15:26

The arrogance of Allstar is hard to beat. I wish you well in your stand. We received our long awaited credit in the form of a credit against a fuel invoice 2 weeks ago which was 16 weeks after they drew it apparently by mistaken. No explanation, apology or indeed prior notification. I'll follow your actions with interest!

• Keith Gypps - 29/07/2013 16:40

Actually we had a result out of it, i found out the MD's email and sent him a polite but firm email explaining why and how i would be defending any action and had a reply back within ours from their fleet director saying that any action had been dropped and that they had called of the collection agents..

• bernard litman - 05/08/2013 14:18

can you give me his name and e-mail address please

• Mick Ward - 05/09/2013 15:31

• Mick Ward - 05/09/2013 15:32

@bernard litman - Hi Bernard, how did you get on with the MD? I've also written to him today demanding my money back. See my comment posted

• Mick Ward - 05/09/2013 15:28

Just this week discovered the Network Service Fee charged by Allstar! too busy growing a business to check invoices from a supplier we thought we could trust. Like some others I see, they claim to have written to us but we never received this mysterious letter and now I find the saving I made installing a new Sat Tracking system has been wiped out. Having been rudely fobbed off my the so-called "account manager" with waffle and a threat to hang up if I didn't stop shouting at him (how else do stop a waffler you know is just reading from a script) I've written to the great and mighty Robert Pieczka Managing Director Card Services demanding my money back. The stupid thing about this is that my £180K spend become £500k next year due to tripling of my fleet but I just know that I am still just small fry who can just take it or leave. I would be very interested in know the outcome of any legal action being taken.

• Mike Neal - 26/09/2013 15:09

In addition to the Network Charge we are now to be charged a risk based surcharge! I immediately cancelled our acount on 9th Sept. but Allstar insist on 30 days notice. What a surprise to then be charged the annual card fees for 1st October while waiting for the account to be closed. Was the timing co-incidental or did they deliberately wait to carry out the risk review so that even if we cancelled immediately the annual fee would still be chargeable?

• Iain Sellstrom - 25/11/2013 13:45

@Mike Neal - We have had a similar experience. Recently we were told our credit rating had changed so they invoked a 4% surcharge. Experian will not confirm without £99.95 + VAT report. When I complained to Allstar they tell me that they dont make money from fuel so need to protect their business. Absolute twaddle. This lot need investigating!

• Guy Robinson - 09/10/2013 17:02

fuel cards used to be free - then we had an annual fee - now a fee per transaction - it is now cheaper to have a company credit card (restricted to fuel) than an Allstar card - how to kill a business!

• Lesley B - 10/10/2013 14:41

Just been on phone to Allstar-jeez had to wait 24mins before they answered-to discuss the network service fee, and a very stroppy woman said all clients have different agreements.So muggins here doesn't use enough to warrant them not charging me so I have cancelled our cards.

• Guy Robinson - 10/10/2013 14:49

is there anyone other than Allstar that provides a card that can be used at most stations (including supermarkets)? I can't seem to find one!. Thank you

• Pat Stallwood - 19/11/2013 11:07

@Guy Robinson - We use fuel genie (Atos) but sadly had a card stolen. These cards can be used at Morrisons and Tesco. Be warned they are not PIN protected and nobody took any notice of the registration printed on the card. It was used 7 times in 24 hours and we had to pay the costs

• - 10/10/2014 13:55

• sana786 - 24/03/2014 21:05

I think, good talk by All Star , but no action, online portal has not been working as required for a year, took me to nealy 9 months to establish who the account manager and then see her. I will say All Star thinks their customer have no choice but to stay with them but forget £20k additional a year is lot of money, even if that is 2%, especially in a environment when every company is trying to save every single penny, just to survive.

• Andy Mason - 13/05/2015 18:38

Allstar are a total joke. We have just made all our drivers destroy their fuel cards. They classed us as a 'high risk' business and a threat to them even theough we have a direct debit set up and they get paid weekly. We have cash in the bank, no loans, no overdrafts and all our suppliers are paid monthly. They started charging us for being a 'high risk' threat to their business. Speaking to one of the allstar robots on the phone made no difference and they refused to let me speak to anyone higher up. So basically they have charged us for something that doesnt exist (our creditsafe score is 95/100) and they refuse to pay us back or aknowledge they are wrong. This with the transaction fee and yearly card charges mean we have said goodbye and we wont be back. One of my clients with 200 odd vans has also done the same. Allstar are a joke.

• ryan - 19/08/2015 20:47

Having just had my invoice for the month come in I've found that the numbers do not a up they have hidden a 10p per litre change costing me more than £5 every time I fill up. So I have cancelled the card