One in five motorists thinks that driving 10mph over speed limit is acceptable

A survey has been asking drivers to reflect on their attitude towards speeding as the company reveals the most common attitudes and behaviours amongst UK motorists.

According to the Allianz survey, almost one in three motorists believe that a driver travelling in a 20mph zone should only be punished if they are 10mph or more over the speed limit. 20 mph speed limits are often found near schools and hospitals where travelling at a reduced speed is important for the safety of children and other pedestrians.

Other top speeding insights revealed by the research include:

1. 74% of motorists believe it is okay to go over all speed limits by 5mph
  2. 65% of motorists nominated motorways as most likely to induce speeding
  3. 59% of drivers get frustrated with other motorists who stick to the speed limit.

Drivers give a variety of reasons for speeding, but the top three include seeing a clear and empty road in front of them, their speed creeping up and being late. The research has also revealed that more than one in ten drivers aged between 18 and 24 say they have been prosecuted for speeding at least twice.

Despite many drivers being prosecuted for speeding, UK motorists do support limits being in place. For example, more than a third of motorists (35%) support compulsory speed awareness courses becoming standard alongside current penalties. And in in extreme cases of speeding, 74% of motorists agree there should be harsher penalties. Interestingly, a third of motorists think all new cars should be fitted with speed limiters.

Jon Dye, UK Chief Executive of Allianz Insurance said,  With 1 in 4 drivers saying they had been personally involved in an accident which involved excessive speed, motorists can help significantly reduce the number of accidents on Britain’s roads by driving within the speed limit.”

Comments

• reg dixon - 13/10/2014 11:09

Our local plod seems to think that speeding is most dangerous on hot sunny days when shirt sleeves are in order. Wonder why.

• Richard Willis - 13/10/2014 11:31

Depends were it is. Motorways and dual carriageways YES other limits such as in built up areas NO Trouble is, too many open roads that would have had a national limit, have now been commandeered by the road safety mob, and changed to 30 mph in some places, with not a pavement of dangerous bend in sight

• Paul Adey - 13/10/2014 12:33

I used to constantly drive over the speed limit on motorways to about 80-85 depending on conditions, ie volume of traffic and weather conditions. However, since my last few cars have had cruise control fitted, I find it more relaxing to set it at say 75 and just sit back and let the idiots who want to go faster to get on with it. I find that I arrive at my destination at the right time and much calmer too.

• Paul Adey - 13/10/2014 12:40

I never cease to be amazed by the inequality in speed limits. On the M1 in South Yorkshire there have been road works for about 18 months. Although the top end is virtually finished and 3 lanes are fully open, the speed limit is still 50, which few adhere to, but on the M18 a little to the North, there is a lane closed, leaving 2 lanes only, but the speed limit is still 70! And to further prove a point, on the winding country lane near my home, the speed limit is 60!! Go figure.

• Rob Chisholm, Applewood Vehicle Finance Ltd - 13/10/2014 13:02

@Paul Adey - Agreed Paul, and these contradictions simply lead to drivers having less respect for speed limits in general.

• Rob Chisholm, Applewood Vehicle Finance Ltd. - 13/10/2014 12:58

The infuriating things for me relating to speed are twofold: 1) Drivers who believe that their individual speedometer is deadly accurate - they aren't, which is why a margin of 10%+2mph is generally provided 2) Those who shake their head and flash their lights at me as I go past them on my bike on an empty NSL road and then catch me up in the next village. 45 mph every where seems to be their modus operandii I'm no angel, but I try to apply some sense to where and by how much. I never speed in built up area's (whether in car or on bike), but for some reason 'sensible' drivers seem to believe it's okay for them to do so. I have to admit I take a childish perverse pleasure in keeping them to the 20's, 30's and 40's in particular. Oh, and one other thing that saddens me ... idiot drivers who place their portable Sat Navs right in the middle of their windscreens and have no idea at how much of the road ahead or the pedestrians and cyclists around them they are blocking out of their view. And that's all before I start on the mobile phone/texters who still populate our roads. Driving bans should be mandatory for this offence as there is no longer any excuse.

• Dirk Olsen - 13/10/2014 13:24

The worst speeders are the 'White Van Drivers'. I don't know how many time when I keep to the speed limit I always get passed by a 'White Van'.

• Rob Chisholm, Managing Director, Applewood Vehicle Finance Ltd - 13/10/2014 14:53

@Dirk Olsen - You didn't meet the middle aged woman in her red Suzuki Swift round here on the Oakham to Melton road last Saturday then. She almost had two collisions in the space of two miles and both through her reckless overtaking and excessive speed. I honestly though she was a gonner in the 2nd two. How she avoided it heaven only knows ... and it was nothing to do with her driving skills (or lack of) either.

• Rob Chisholm, Managing Director, Applewood Vehicle Finance Ltd - 13/10/2014 14:54

@Rob Chisholm, Managing Director, Applewood Vehicle Finance Ltd - I do wish we could EDIT out our mistakes on here sometimes!!