Fleet News
Fleet FAQ


How do I apply for a vehicle tax refund?


Cancel your vehicle tax by telling DVLA you no longer have the vehicle or it’s off the road. You get a refund for any full months of remaining tax.

How to cancel your vehicle tax

You must tell DVLA that your vehicle has been:

  • sold or transferred to someone else
  • taken off the road, for example you’re keeping it in a garage - this is called a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • written off by your insurance company
  • scrapped at a vehicle scrapyard
  • stolen - you’ll have to apply for a refund separately
  • exported out of the UK
  • registered as exempt from vehicle tax

You’ll automatically get a refund cheque for any full months left on your vehicle tax. The refund is calculated from the date DVLA gets your information. The cheque is sent to the name and address on the vehicle log book.

You will not get a refund for:

  • any credit card fees
  • the 5% surcharge on some direct debit payments
  • the 10% surcharge on a single 6 month pay

Refund for the first tax payment on the vehicle

The amount you get back will be based on whichever is lower of:

  • the first tax payment when you registered the vehicle
  • the rate for the second tax payment onwards
Source: GOV.UK

Related content