Research has found that the UK has the twelfth highest unleaded fuel prices and the second highest diesel prices in Europe meaning UK drivers need all the help they can get when it comes to saving money on the go!
With this in mind Perrys has formulated a series of fuel saving tips to help make that tank of fuel go a little further.
- Check your tyres regularly to make sure that they are not over worn or under inflated, which can drastically reduce fuel efficiency. As many as 50% of the tyres on the UK’s roads are under inflated, this can also increase wear.
- Shopping around for a bargain also includes shopping for petrol and diesel! Recent studies have shown that fuel prices can fluctuate as much as 5p per litre in any given area.
- Drive in the highest gear possible without labouring the engine, as it is the most fuel efficient. Driving in a low gear often over revs the engine, increasing fuel consumption by up to 25%.
- Declutter your car- the lighter your car the less effort you will need to accelerate.
- The aerodynamics of your car plays an important part in saving fuel. Removing roof racks and shutting windows will help to reduce the drag and increase fuel efficiency.
- Turn off the air con in your car- only use in extreme circumstances!
- DON’T fill your car up to the top with fuel, this will add weight to the car, which in turn means you will mean you are burning more fuel.