It’s often regarded to be a ‘knock-on benefit’ which results from the installation of fleet management software.
But any reduction in the admin burden is a massive bonus both for fleet managers and their teams.
By directly controlling the amount of paperwork that’s in existence while simultaneously managing bureaucracy, this software – when effective – is sometimes likened to an additional skilled and highly-effective staff member.
It also ensures that safeguards are consistently in place to demonstrate that duty-of-care obligations are both adhered to and recorded. Many fleet managers mention that this audit trail function – which is frequently one of the main reasons for installing fleet software in the first place – gives them peace of mind.
But further admin reduction benefits become clear when other regularly cited reasons for installing fleet management software are highlighted.
- Reduced fleet and wholelife operating costs
- Better control over fuel usage
- Increased workshop productivity
- Minimised vehicle repair downtime
All of these have the potential to streamline a fleet department’s operations – while also freeing up fleet managers’ time.
In short, the right software package at the correct price has the potential to provide annual cost savings linked to admin reduction that could amount to thousands of pounds.
And, by common consensus, the software being used by fleet managers is evolving at an unprecedented rate to keep up with technological innovations like hand-held devices and tablets.
But what about those spreadsheets which have been a staple of so many fleet management departments for so long? Have they truly been consigned to the history books?
For start-up businesses or very small companies, many advisers agree that spreadsheets could remain a sensible and cost-effective initial option.
Nonetheless, once those same organisations start to grow, it frequently makes sense for them to upgrade to one of the many fleet management software packages available.
Five reasons to switch software
Industry professionals cite five major reasons for switching from spreadsheets to fleet management software:
- Fleet management software streamlines the way your office works. You no longer have many different spreadsheets for a wide variety of different fleet information.
- Spreadsheets do not ensure reliable reporting – it is hard to ensure data entry is consistent. Fleet management software can help with this.
- Fleet software allows many different employees based at national – or international – offices to view and enter data simultaneously.
- Software can save fleet managers time by integrating with other corporate and supplier systems – like fuel cards.
- Software also eliminates the potential for employees to manipulate information for reports. It simply collates the information that’s required and delivers it in an appropriate format to those who require it.