My Client is a multi site & multi product manufacturer who is looking to add to their Senior Leadership Team in supporting the fleet management & compliance across the business. Reporting into the Group Operations Director, you will be based out of Head Office in Merseyside, however there will be travel to other sites across the UK. You will be familiar in your approach to transport compliance, have vast fleet management & organisation experience & hold a CPC License & be a leader with the capacity to implement change where necessary.
There is a lot of travel involved in the role, therefore a car is provided as part of the package. All fuel & out of pocket expenses are covered too.
You will manage the overall group transport fleet to ensure full legislative compliance, while ensuring that all sites operate a cost effective transport solution to meet all customer requirements. You will develop relationships across multiple sites in the UK & create buy in from different sites to ensure standardisation across the business model.
* Work with Directors and Regional General Managers to set Transport strategy to maintain the groups competitive edge and implement the most cost effective logistics solution
* You will work with all of the Group Leadership Team to drive the most cost effective transport solutions, utilising internal and external vehicles to achieve business targets
* This is a Group role and will require visits to various locations throughout the UK.
* Undertake transport site compliance audits for both internal and external fleets
* You will create & implements across the business
* You will establish relationships ,
What do you need to succeed in the role of Group Transport Manager?
* Fleet Legal Compliance
* DVSA – Non conformance's
* Cost effective subcontracting solutions
* Drivers hours / Tachograph compliance
* HSE – Vehicle & Driver accidents-Experience
* Minimum of 5 years experience operating as an accountable operational Transport Supervisor/Manager in a medium to large-scale operation within a multi-site operation.
* Comprehensive understanding of transport, drivers and plant operation legislation, transport related COSHH and Health & Safety requirements.
* Should have excellent person management and relationship skills, and be comfortable working effectively within a broad range of working environments either directly or remotely.
* Ideally a qualified member of an appropriate well recognised transport and/or logistics industry professional body
* You will already be a practical manager, willing to be hands-on and lead change from the front, with new & fresh ideas around Transport Management & Compliance.
As the successful candidate you should have at least five years’ experience of progressively more responsible jobs, with experience in a senior managerial role in the transport industry. Due to the nature of the role we are looking for a dependable and committed individual, with previous experience of leading large teams of employees, with experience and training in the preparation and delivery of important personnel decisions such as disciplinary action and also experience of coaching / developing employees to improve performance using a variety of methods.
You should have a good working knowledge of Working Time Directive and EU Drivers Hours’ regulations and be PC literate with a good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word. Strong numeracy skills and geographic knowledge are a must as well as clear and concise communication and problem solving skills and an ability to think analytically and creatively.
Education / Qualifications
* Holder of National Road Transport CPC
* LGV License – C+E
* Good standard of written and numerical literacy
* Certificate of Management
* Working knowledge of Tachomaster system
* Vehicle tracking systems and reports
* Vehicle Mechanical knowledge
* What will your day look like in your new role?
* Develop and manage the Groups transport and logistics services through effective deployment and utilisation of contract services
* Manage day to day relationships with vehicle and plant suppliers, to ensure two way performance is in accordance with agreed arrangements and terms. Also resolve any issues that may exist.
* Deliver management of the transport function with agreed cost budget and performance measures. To monitor transports weekly/monthly performance to ensure targets are achieved and develop recovery plans to ensure budget adherence
* Develop “best practice” and implement improvements to ensure we attain the lowest logistics cost base
* Drive standardisation throughout the transportation processes and operators
* Issue clear work instructions to enable drivers to undertake the required duties in the most effective manner and to the customers’ satisfaction
* Liaise with Sales on new business to ensure that the most competitive rates are achieved
* Ensure that all operations comply with Road Transport, COSHH and Health & Safety legislative as required
* Maintain (including the use of centralised IT), maintenance records for all nominated vehicles and plant (including non-LGV/PCV’s).
* To support site managers with occurring, reoccurring, problematic & day to day transport solutions
* Provide technical assistance and support to Site / General Managers on transport matters under their direct control
* Drive transport efficiencies through effective fleet utilisation and contract services
This role may suit someone who has held some responsibility & not been in a position to progress as far as their skills & capabilities would allow. Someone who is driven to succeed, not afraid of a challenge, & truly ready to shine in a thriving, growing & successful business.
Does this sound like your next opportunity then I look forward to hearing from you.
You can apply this job via clicking the button below.