As Head of Transport you will be responsible for the management and day-to-day running of your department and the company fleet of drivers and driver’s mates.
The aim of your role is to run an efficient and effective transport and delivery service at all times maintaining customer satisfaction, safety standards and ongoing communications with relevant departments.
You will need to have excellent people management skills, capable of communicating effectively to the team, and work closely with warehouse team to ensure loads are made in plenty of time to meet tight deadlines.
Key elements to your role/responsibilities will include;
* Recruit, manage and develop a team of drivers and driver’s mates to provide a highly customer focused delivery service to customers.
* Take the lead role in planning, costing and allocating routes to maintain high levels of productivity and ensuring sufficient flexibility is in place to meet the varying and changing needs of the customer as well as the business.
* Ensure that the loads are always within the vehicles limitations.
* Ensure that the team operates within the legal Health & Safety requirements and the company policies and procedures at all times.
* Ensure that all company vehicles across all sites are compliant with all legal, contractual and VOSA regulations and requirements, and where necessary escalating any identified issues and reach resolution.
* To effectively manage driver behaviours and fuel efficiencies through active monitoring of route planning and telematics management, providing statistical operational performance information and reporting or updating your Manager or Director on a daily basis.
* Develop and implement a proactive, planned and structured approach to the service and maintenance of fleet vehicles, managing within budget and ensuring vehicles are fit for purpose.
* To proactively take the lead in resolving unforeseen problems as they occur ensuring the appropriate resolutions and taking necessary steps to prevent future repetition.
* To ensure drivers conduct daily vehicle checks and security checks ensuring standards are achieved and maintained on a daily basis.
* Ensure compliance to company operational and health and safety policies and procedures.
* To cover holidays and other absences in the transport department as required.
* To achieve company targets both individually and collectively.
* To effectively communicate daily instructions to drivers and conduct debriefs appropriately when they arrive back into the warehouse where necessary.
* Keep accurate records of all maintenance schedules, repairs and driver documents, ensuring that they are renewed when necessary
* Liaise with the sales team for deliveries and collections
* Ensure that all accident claims are reported to insurers within timeframes, in addition, investigate any negligence caused by your team and report to Health and Safety Manager and HR immediately
* Co-ordinate and take part in stock takes when required
* Support and cover other managers in their absence
* Key holder duties including out of ours call out is required
* may be required to drive in order to deliver goods to customers to ensure customer needs are met
The ideal Tcandidate will have the following skills and experience:
* Previous experience in leading a business through a significant period of growth
* Possess a clean HGV Class 1 driving licence and hold CPC
* Significant experience in managing a fast paced transport operation
* Proven track record of planning, forecasting and working on relevant software
* Communicates openly, motivates and inspires, creates a positive work environment, manages team performance, sets a good example for the team. Provide constructive feedback in a clear manner
* Develop effective relationships, treat others with respect, demonstrate sensitivity to diversity, harnesses difference and fosters positive workplace relationships
* Provides colleagues, managers and Directors with candid and regular feedback
To apply, please submit your CV via the link
You can apply this job via clicking the button below.