Drive & Survive figures show that a full tank of petrol from a medium-sized car releases nearly 140kg of CO2 - equal in weight to two average adult males. The company's list of tips includes:
- Ensure your vehicle is regularly serviced.
- Try to avoid excessive acceleration during engine warm-up when fuel consumption is at its highest.
- Change gear smoothly and avoid harsh braking.
- Switch the engine off while stationary in traffic.
- Make sure tyres are correctly inflated as under-inflation by 7 psi can waste as much as half a gallon of fuel per tank.
- Use dedicated fuel cards to monitor fuel consumption to target heavy-footed drivers.