The mayor of London has delayed making an announcement on whether cars that produce 120g or less of CO2 per kilometre will be exempt from the congestion charge.
Last year it was indicated that such vehicles would join the likes of hybrids and electric vehicles and would not be liable to pay the congestion charge to enter London.
This was expected to happen this Monday (February 4).
However, Ken Livingstone’s office has confirmed to Fleet News that such vehicles will still have to pay the charge for the foreseeable future.
A spokesperson said that the mayor has still not made a decision but will “shortly”.
“This could mean in the next week or next month,” she said.
“But we are clearly not going to meet Monday’s deadline.”
The mayor’s dithering has left fleet managers in a very difficult position, as some will have already made the decision to purchase sub-120g cars in the belief that they will be exempt.
While fleet managers are left guessing which way mayor Livingstone will go with sub-120g vehicles, they are none the wiser as to Boris Johnson’s thinking on congestion charging.
Mr Johnson is the leading opponent in the mayoral elections, which will be held on May 1.
Mr Johnson’s office has said he also is still considering his position on congestion charging, and will not discuss it until closer to the election.