AA DriveTech is introducing what it believes to be the first driver training course aimed specifically at the drivers of hybrid and electric powered vehicles.
Initially, the course will be offered to business drivers whose employers wish to fulfil their duty of care obligations to those who drive for business purposes.
“Clearly the market for these vehicles has some way to go before it is considered firmly established within the UK fleet market but we felt it was important that AA DriveTech was in a position to support early adopters and assist them in adapting their driving styles to both remain safe and get the best out of their vehicles,” said Paul Holmes, AA DriveTech’s fleet director.
The workshop-based course, devised by the AA DriveTech Academy, lasts three and a half hours and covers:
• the obvious, and less obvious, differences between driving a conventional petrol or diesel-powered vehicle and one reliant on an electric or hybrid powertrain
• specific techniques that allow the driver to maximise economy and stay safe
• the safe re-fuelling or re-charging of vehicles
• journey planning in order to maximise economy and overcome range anxiety
• how other road users interact with such vehicles and the potential hazards this could create
Those wishing to find out more about this course should contact fleetsafe@AAdrivetech.com or call 01256 495732.