Trafficmaster reports that The Olympic Games may have come to a close, but road traffic will take some time to return to 'normal'.
The schools are still on holiday, and many had deferred their summer breaks away whilst the Olympic Games were on.
Furthermore, overseas visitors to Britain for the Olympic Games may now continue their stay for tourist purposes.
There will be less commuter traffic than at most times of the year, but expect roads to be busier during the daytime off-peak period.
Traffic to and from the London Airports, especially Heathrow will be increased during the next few days by overseas participants, officials and spectators at the Olympic Games returning home. The Olympic Lanes on M4 will remain in force at least on Monday and Tuesday, 13th & 14th August, whilst homebound traffic is being handled.
There are many leisure events during the next three weeks, some of which had been rescheduled to avoid the period of the Olympic Games:
- In Scotland, the Edinburgh Festival is now in progress, and there are also the nightly performances of the Military Tattoo at Edinburgh Castle. Expect very heavy traffic throughout the day on local roads within the Scottish capital.
- In Wales, the Pembrokeshire County Show at Withybush on the A40 outside Haverfordwest is one of the most popular County Shows in Britain, taking place from Tuesday, 14th August until Thursday, 16th August. Delays should be expected on the section of A40 between Haverfordwest and Fishguard.
- Following the town’s involvement with the Olympic Games’ sailing events, the Weymouth Carnival takes place on Wednesday, 15th August. There will be heavy traffic on local roads around the town, with some closures and diversions.
- This is Cowes Week – the Annual Cowes Regatta continues on the Isle of Wight until Saturday, 18th August, with the traditional firework display (weather permitting) on Friday evening, 17th August. Expect heavy local traffic on the Isle of Wight to and from East and West Cowes, especially during late afternoon and evening on Friday.
- The Northampton Balloon Festival takes place at Overstone Solarium, east of Northampton from Friday, 17th August until Sunday, 19th August.
- The two annual V festivals take place from Friday, 17th August until Sunday, 19th August at Hylands Park, Chelmsford and Weston Park in Staffordshire. Traffic for the Staffordshire venue frequently builds up from early on Friday on M54, A41, A5, M6 (around Junction 12) and M6 Toll, whilst that for Chelmsford can be expected from Friday lunchtime, on A12 and local roads into Chelmsford. Homebound traffic from both sites can be expected from early morning on Monday, 20th August.
- The Football League season for 2012/13 commences on 18th and 19th August. Expect football spectator traffic around the major football grounds on both days, when matches are scheduled.
- During the weekend of 18-19th August, there are other events at Stithians (Truro), Old Warden (Biggleswade), Lincoln, Fairford, Sywell and Santa Pod (Wellingborough).
More on page two...