Fleet News

PRN ends at midnight tonight

The Paralympic Route Network (PRN) will end operation and enforcement at midnight on tonight (Monday, September 10), following the GB Olympic and Paralympic Athletes’ Parade.

By then the vast majority of athletes, officials and media will have departed London after what has been the biggest and most popular Paralympic Games ever.

All Games Lanes will be taken out of use at midnight ahead of Tuesday morning’s rush hour, though the white line road markings may take a little longer to remove. All of the physical measures on the PRN will be removed by the morning of Thursday, September 13.

The 36 mile-long PRN was considerably smaller than the Olympic Route Network (ORN) and had only 8.7 miles of Games Lanes but was just as vital in getting Paralympic athletes, officials and media to their events and keeping London moving.

The measures were focused on the City and around venues in east London and included parking and stopping restrictions.

Throughout the Paralympic Games only around 30% of Games Lanes were in operation at any one time, meaning the remaining 70% were open to general traffic with motorists advised when they could use the lanes via roadside Variable Message Signs (VMS).

Compliance with the PRN was very high during the Games, with some 97% of motorists staying out of the Games Lanes when they were in operation.

Garrett Emmerson, TfL’s chief operating officer surface transport, said: “The PRN has been instrumental in delivering the best Paralympic Games ever.

“With the help and patience of London’s motorists we successfully got all of the athletes and officials to their events, transported the world’s media around to the different venues across the capital and kept London moving and open for business.

“As promised, the Games Lanes were operated flexibly throughout the Games and only around 30% were in operation at any one time.

“Compliance with the Games Lanes was very high and it is evident that Londoners used all the information made available to them to carefully plan their journeys to avoid disruption.

“We thank London’s motorists for their help in observing the temporary traffic restrictions, which enabled us to help deliver a fantastic Paralympic Games.”

Some sections of the PRN have already been removed as they were no longer required. These include measures around Greenwich which were taken out on Tuesday and Thursday last week and the sections linking Blackwall Tunnel to ExCeL and North Greenwich Arena which came out on Saturday night.
 



Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Comment as guest


Login  /  Register

Comments

No comments have been made yet.

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee