Fleet News

Higher fuel prices to push motorists into more fuel efficient vehicles

More than half of motorists say the higher price of fuel will eventually push them into ‘buying a more fuel efficient vehicle’ or 'changing their driving habits’ or 'both', according to a recent British Car Auctions (BCA) survey.

One in 10 of the 4,000 motorists surveyed say they will change to a more fuel-efficient car if the price of fuel hits £1.50 per litre.

The report follows the OFT’s investigation into petrol prices (click here for the full story).

Tim Naylor, editor of the BCA Used Car Market report, commented:  “Our research suggests many motorists are changing the way they drive to maximise their fuel efficiency.

“70% of car owners have already taken steps to cut their motoring costs, trying different ways to combat the financial pressures. 

“These include altering the way they drive (17% drive more slowly to conserve fuel), avoiding heavy breaking (16%) and opting for more fuel-efficient models.”

Research conducted by BMRB* exclusively for the BCA Used Car Market Report also reveals that 29% of motorists are now walking more often, while 21% of car owners are cutting the number of car journeys as a response to the increased prices at the pumps.

*Consumer research by BMRB International, based on interviews with 4,000 respondents, representative of the UK adult population aged 17 years and over. Fieldwork for this research was undertaken during March 2012.


Click here for fuel and fuel cards best practice and procurement insight

Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Login to comment

Comments

  • Legs11 - 01/02/2013 12:29

    70% of all car owners have taken steps to reduce fuel costs - presumably the remaining 30% are fleet car drivers who don't care about fuel costs as their employer pays .....?! :-)

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee