SmartWitness has unveiled its new vehicle journey recorder, that notification with videos of incidents in less than 60 seconds after a collision.
The company claims the new KP1 recorder will allow insurance claims to be filed in record time – significantly reducing costs. Insurers have found that just 2% of incidents recorded on SmartWitness cameras result in disputed claims – against an industry norm of 40% for all motor claims.
Insurers are able to pass these big cost savings on to the insured, with some SmartWitness clients experiencing savings on their premiums of up to 20%. These savings are likely to increase further with the launch of the KP1, which has been developed after three years of research costing over £500,000.
SmartWitness, who won the Best New Product award at last week's Fleet News Awards, says the KP1 is the world’s most powerful 3G/4G instant video transmission vehicle camera with in-built tracking and telematics data. It features:
- Two cameras: a built-in forward facing camera and an optional second camera for interior, side or rear views
- The latest 10Hz GPS/GLONASS module
- Fast notification: as soon as KP1 detects an incident, it sends a 10-second video clip from its primary camera via secure email instantly to any authorised recipient
- Daily driver reports, either by secure email or SMS, giving companies constant, accurate updates of driver competence and safety·
- Video compression allowing the 10-second video clip to be compressed to just 150KB of data, making it more data cost effective than any other units currently on the market
- A high sensitivity Bosch G Sensor which is Thatcham tested and configurable to +-16G
- An easily upgradeable communications interface that is 3G, 4G, Wifi, WiMax and Bluetooth ready
SmartWitness managing director Simon Marsh said: “The KP1 is unlike anything on the market today. It delivers crystal clear footage of any incidents within seconds via email in the most cost effective way.
“It will make our roads safer and help companies to meet their corporate responsibilities. KP1 will provide clients with court compliant evidence from one or two cameras as soon as an incident occurs. And with the second camera, KP1 is future proof if the UK follows suit with the distracted driving laws which are being introduced in some states in the US. Our fleet clients have been saving up to £60,000 a year by installing SmartWitness cameras in all their vehicles.
“Annual insurance premiums are reduced by 20% in the years following installation, with incident records typically falling by as much as 50%. If anything, clients’ insurance savings are likely to increase further over the long-term as insurers see the benefit of the cameras and how they achieve significant and permanent improvements in incident records and driver behaviour. Employers are notified immediately if their drivers are travelling too fast and unsafely and can take immediate acts to remedy problems.”
Marsh added: “SmartWitness lets insurers take control of the cost and settlement of claims, speeding up the whole process. Fleet operators and insurers want the peace of mind vehicle recorders give them – they know costs aren’t going to spiral with disputed claims being dragged out over months. These savings are reflected in lower quotations at the invitation to renew.
“In addition, in-cab CCTV ensures that blameless drivers can always prove their innocence, and it is a vital safeguard against the growing problem of cash-for-crash fraudsters.”
The KP1 costs from £199.99.