Fleet News

31% of UK motorists would drive away after a collision, research reveals

Shelborne Motors accidents statistics

A third of drivers (31%) within the UK would drive away if they were caught up in a driving incident, new research has revealed.

Of the 1,000 people asked, 40% said they wouldn’t think twice about driving away after scratching or keying a car, with half of the offenders aged between 25-34.

Whereas only 6% of those aged 65+ admitted to a hit and run.

The research, conducted by car dealer Shelbourne Motors, found that 60% of drivers would apologise if there was visible damage leaving a large 40% willing to flee the scene.

It found the most and least popular reasons of why people would own up to hitting another vehicle:

  • Hitting a parked car whilst in motion causing visible damage (e.g. dent caused by collision)
  • Breaking a car window
  • Hitting a parked car when entering/exiting own vehicle (e.g. opening car door into vehicle) causing visible damage
  • Knocking a wing mirror
  • Hitting a parked car when entering/exiting own vehicle (e.g. opening car door into vehicle) but no visible damage caused
  • Hitting a parked car whilst in motion but no visible damage caused (e.g. minor bump at slow speed)
  • Scratching/keying a car

Shelbourne Motors’ group marketing manager Ronan Marshall said: “We were particularly shocked by how many members of the UK public would drive away after causing a collision, what really stood out to us was the fact that 10% wouldn’t admit to any type of accident, regardless of whether damage was caused.

“We also found it interesting that visible damage was the main reason for leaving details and that witnesses wouldn’t really encourage drivers to stick around after an incident.

"The research also suggest that you are better to have an altercation with an older driver as they are more likely to leave details, with 50% of people aged 18-34 admitting they would just drive off.”

Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Comment as guest


Login  /  Register

Comments

No comments have been made yet.

Related content

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee