Fleet News

UK drivers taking car abroad could be fined £117 due to EU ‘Crit’Air’

Fleet news logo

Drivers taking their car abroad could be fined £117 if they don’t have an Air Quality Certificate (Crit’Air), warns LeasePlan.

Crit’Air was rolled out by the French government on January 22.

It outlines that all cars driving into Paris and other major cities are required to display a sticker indicating how much NOx the car produces and  enables the monitoring of pollution levels and the ability to prohibit entry to higher category cars, on high emission days.

There are six categories that vehicles are ranked by depending on their air pollutant emissions from the cleanest (100% electric and hydrogen vehicles) at 0, to the highest polluting pre-2006 diesel vehicles.

However, not all diesel cars will be ranked in the high polluting categories; diesels registered since 2011 will rank at level 2, equal to Euro 4 petrol cars (registered from 2006 to 2010).

This new legislation means that not only must drivers of leased vehicles notify their leasing company, at least four weeks prior to travel, to obtain a Vehicle on Hire (VE103) certificate – in lieu of a vehicle registration certificate (V5C) – and a letter giving written permission needed to drive their car overseas, but they must know the European Emissions Standard of their vehicle in order to apply for a Crit’ Air sticker.

LeasePlan UK’s head of consultancy services Matthew Walters said: “With the growing popularity of leasing in the UK, 49% of cars registered in 2017 for fleet, we believe thousands of motorists could be falling foul of European legislation when driving across the channel this year

“We recommend that drivers, whether they lease or own their vehicle, apply for a Crit’ Air sticker well in advance of their date of travel so they don’t run the risk of driving without one.

“The difference between Euro 6 and earlier diesels is one that’s rarely made. In many ways, proposed policies, such as this, will actually be good for diesel motorists. At the moment the UK is absolutely CO2 focused, it is encouraging to see more governments recognising the steps needed to tackle NOx emissions to improve the air quality and bring about the future of clean transport and responsible cities."

LeasePlan has created an eight-point checklist for British motorists driving in Europe this summer:

  1. Apply for your Crit’ Air sticker well in advance of your date of travel to avoid running the risk of driving without one.
  2. Notify your leasing provider that you’ll be taking the vehicle abroad in advance to obtain a vehicle-on-hire certificate (VE103). All drivers who own their vehicle must be able to produce a V5 vehicle document (logbook).
  3. Check you have European Breakdown Cover.
  4. Consider giving your car a maintenance check before you head off to help improve fuel economy and avoid any preventable accidents. 
  5. Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, fully comprehensive insurance is essential for all drivers.
  6. Read up and ensure you comply with each country’s individual driving laws. Did you know, for instance, France has banned satnavs that are capable of detecting speed cameras and it’s compulsory for all cars to carry a warning triangle, a high-visibility safety vest, spare light bulbs, GB stickers or number plate with an EU logo.
  7. Ensure your driving licence and passport are valid and up-to-date.
  8. Travelling with kids? Check the safety and compliance rules on car seats for each country before you set off. 
Click here for electric cars and hybrids best practice and procurement insight

Login to comment


  • Diarmuid Fahy - 27/06/2017 11:43

    This is very useful information, but the headline is somewhat misleading: 1. Only drivers taking their cars into French cities will need the Crit'Air sticker. No other part of "abroad" requires them. 2. The Crit'Air legislation was enacted by the French government, as Matthew Walters indicated. It is not EU legislation. Perhaps a clarification is in order?

Related content

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee