Fleet News

Fleets reminded of no deal Brexit driving licence implications

Driver licence

Fleets are being reminded that drivers may need an international driving permit (IDP) if they are going to drive abroad in the event of a no deal Brexit on March 29.

Currently, drivers can use their Great Britain or Northern Ireland in all EU or European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland, but may need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive outside the EU or EEA.

However, the DVLA says if the UK leaves the UK without a deal, people might need an IDP to drive in all EU and EEA countries, apart from Ireland.

They will need a:

  • 1926 permit to drive in Liechtenstein
  • 1949 permit to drive in Spain, Iceland, Malta and Cyprus
  • 1968 permit to drive in all other EU countries, plus Norway and Switzerland

IDPs can be got over the counter only at the Post Office following changes last month. They cost £5.50 and to qualify drivers must be a GB or Northern Ireland resident, have a full UK driving licence and be aged 18 or over.

If a driver already has an IDP, after March 28, their permit might not be accepted in some countries.

People should check if the country they are visiting will still accept their 1926 or 1949 permit after this date.

If their current IDP is not accepted, they will need to replace it with a 1968 permit.

A 1949 permit lasts for 12 months. A 1968 permit lasts for 3 years or until your UK driving licence expires, whichever comes first.

FAQ: What are the requirements for driving in the EU after Brexit?


Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Login to comment


No comments have been made yet.

Related content

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee