With air quality high on the political agenda, both at a local and national level, fleet operators discussed the pros and cons of diesel and alternative fuels.
Summary of discussion points:
- The general consensus among commercial vehicle operators was that they will not change from diesel as there is no viable alternative right now.
- Operators felt the infrastructure and range for electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles is still not good enough.
- How drivers claim for their electric if they charge at home is still a challenge.
- The length of time it takes to fully charge a vehicle is an issue if the vehicle needs to be charged during the day.
- There needs to be an education process in terms of choosing the right vehicle for the right job/location, be it urban or motorway driving.
- One of the commercial vehicle fleets had a 100% diesel with no current plans to change. However, they said they would consider petrol if the cost savings were there.