Fleet News

Fleets want electric vehicle tax assurances

Paul Hollick, ICFM

Fleets are calling on the Government to reveal their plans for company car tax rates for the second half of the decade.

Paul Hollick, chair of the Association of Fleet Professionals (AFP) said decision-makers want clearer guidance before embarking on the move to electrify their fleets.

Speaking to delegates at a recent Fleet200 Executive Club meeting, Hollick said the association was lobbying Government and HMRC for a clear roadmap beyond 2024/25.

 “Tax drives everything. The Danish market electrified their fleets a few years ago but as soon as any tax incentives for EVs disappeared then a lot of them went back to ICE vehicles,’ he said.

“Everything I see from our members is around electrification – cars, vans, grey fleet, and it’s driven by tax. Currently, BIK tax tables are awesome, and they go up to 2024/25, after that we don’t know what’s going to happen.”

Hollick said fleets are concerned that vehicles they order now “could be bitten by a tax increase” in 2025/26.

At the meeting, Hollick also shared a list of 10 concerns that fleets have over the adoption of electric vehicles.

Topping the list was a lack of a kerbside charging infrastructure and concerns over the range of vans available and how far they can travel.

Hollick highlighted the fact that almost 40% of employees do not have the ability to charge a vehicle at home.

Although the Government will pay up to 75% of the cost of kerbside charging, Hollick says many local authorities do not have enough in their coffers to stump up the remaining 25%.

“Some authorities just don’t have enough money to be able to invest in kerbside charging, which need to be close to where the employees live,” he said.


Fleet200 Executive Club: join us

If you're a fleet decision maker interested in joining the club and attending the final meetings of this year (November and December) and our meetings in 2021, email nicola.durrant@bauermedia.co.uk.

Membership is free.

The Fleet200 Executive Club is a group of the most influential fleets operating in the UK.

It produces research on key fleet trends and holds events which bring together the UK’s most professional fleet decision makers to debate the issues of importance to their businesses, share ideas on new initiatives and industry developments, and hear from outstanding, thought-provoking speakers.

Our next meeting: December 7, Wyboston Lakes, Bedfordshire

 

 

Find out more

Click here for electric cars and hybrids best practice and procurement insight

Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Login to comment

Comments

No comments have been made yet.

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee