Our client is seeking a Transport Manager on an initial 4 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
Monday - Friday
The efficient and effective management of the section, ensuring a quality customer focussed fleet service and management of contractual/ partnering.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Manage the procurement and maintenance of the vehicle fleet and mobile plant of the Council.
* Monitor and manage contractors/partners, produce performance information and seek year on year performance improvement initiatives.
* Ensure section compliance with Council Standing Orders, Financial Regulations and relevant legislation.
* Manage both capital and revenue budgets allocated in accordance with Council procedures and make timely budgetary recommendations.
* Proactively run the procurement process in liaison with user service representatives for new vehicles and plant, from specification to commissioning to obtain Best Value for the Council and delivery of services.
* Ensure that adequate user training/familiarisation is carried out on delivery of new vehicles and equipment.
* Ensure good Health and Safety, and Equal Opportunity practice within the section and by contractors/partners.
* Carry out Risk Assessments and develop safe working practices for section activities.
* Lead in the development, award and review of contracts and other agreements for purchase, service, repair, breakdown recover, hire and supply of disposables.
* Assist fleet service users in the preparation of estimates, advice and recommendations for reports to committee relating to the use of vehicles and plant.
* Maintain regular and good liaison with and information for service users including representing the service at meetings.
* Authorise/certify accounts, orders and invoices, within specified limits.
* Assist the Assistant Director in the on-going development and review of the Service Improvement Portfolio and Business Plan, providing timely information and initiatives.
* Lead on the development or amendment of IT systems for the section, with specialist support.
* Carry out periodic analysis of accident trends and advise relevant manager.
* Carry out management duties for allocated staff, including appraisal, arranging training, disciplinary matters, sickness monitoring, holiday and training absence and ensure that all aspects of their jobs are carried out competently.
* Provide maximum service cover by agreement with allocated staff within current working time arrangements.
* Provide cover for the Fleet Performance Officer duties at times of absence.
* Assist in out of hours emergencies as and when required.
* Assist with any other comparable duties relating to the Fleet Service.
Skills and Experience:
* Minimum of 2 years in commercial fleet management and 1 year supervisory experience of a small team
* Understanding and experience of relevant risk management, Health and Safety and insurance claims
* Specifying, purchasing and evaluating a diverse range of vehicles and mobile plant, typical to a local authority
* 2 year experience of managing a relevant Fleet sections, driver training programmes and accident prevention
* Running systems that are auditable and cost effective
* Performance monitoring
* Managing Health & Safety at work in a relevant post.
* Contract development and letting
* Driving service improvements
* Sufficient mechanical knowledge of vehicles and mobile plant to make qualitive judgements and inspections on services, repairs and suitability of purchases
* Working knowledge of 'Windows' based computer systems and keyboard skills
* Understand the role of IT contract letting and management
* Demonstrable skills in using fleet management software.
* Ability to organise and priortise own and staff workloads
* Collate and analyse data to make recommendations to service users and senior managers
* Express ideas coherently and persuasively orally and in writing
* Work to targets and deadlines
* Formal report writing
* Carry out formal appraisals of staff and develop training plans for career development
* Sound budget management skills
* Forecast future budgetary trends
* Commitment to customer focus and equal opportunities
* Flexible and proactive management style with the ability to build constructive working relationships
* Prepared to work an early or late flexible working day within the Councils main operating time and current flexi-time system
* Objective/goal orientated
* Commitment to developing contracts towards partnering.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases
You can apply this job via clicking the button below.