Research from Cap HPI has revealed the cheapest diesel and petrol vehicles to run based on the total cost of ownership (TCO) for the first three years.
Cap HPI’s consumer and retail editor Philip Nothard (pictured) said: “When it comes to the pinpointing the leading cars with the lowest total cost of ownership for the first three years from new and 10,000 miles per annum, our research shows that across the majority of vehicle sectors petrol has a slight edge."
The analysis looks at both petrol and diesel motors and factors in servicing, fuel and other motoring costs.
Small car sector:
- Dacia Sandero hatchback 1.0 SCe Access 5dr at £7,419.64 per year or £206.10 per month
- Dacia Sandero Diesel Hatchback 1.5 dCi Ambiance 5dr at £8,059 per year or £223.87 per month.
- Suzuki Celerio hatchback 1.0 SZ2 5dr with a TCO of £ 8,350.74 per year or £231.97 per month.
Family car sector:
- Fiat Tipo hatchback 1.4 Easy 5dr boasts at £12,003.10 per year or £333.42 per month.
- Fiat Tipo Diesel hatchback 1.3 Multijet Easy 5dr at £12,529.20 per year or £348.03 per month.
- However, the Fiat Tipo diesel beats the petrol hatchback when it comes to service and maintenance costs (£801 petrol v £785 diesel) and significantly on fuel costs (£3,217.10 petrol v £2,109.20 diesel).
- Suzuki Ignis Hatchback 1.2 Dualjet SZ3 5dr at £9,432.83 per year or £262.02 per month.
- Dacia Duster estate 1.6 SCe 115 Access 5dr with a TCO of £10,405.32 per year or £289.04 per month.
- The best performing diesel SUV is the Ssangyong Tivoli Diesel hatchback 1.6 D SE 5dr at £11583.50 per year or £321.76 per month.
Sports car sector:
- Smart For Two Cabrio 1.0 Passion 2dr at £12,072.74 per year or £335.35 per month.
- Fiat 500c Convertible 1.2 Pop 2dr at £13,394.04 per year.
- Mini Convertible 1.5 Cooper 2dr at £13,831.28 per year.
- The best performing diesel is the Fiat 500c Diesel Convertible 1.3 Multijet Pop Star 2dr at £14,377.61 per year.
- The second best performing diesel is the Mini Convertible Diesel 1.5 Cooper D 2dr at £14,415.97 per year.
Executive car sector:
- Audi A5 Diesel Sportback 2.0 TDI Ultra SE 5dr at £19,773.73 per year or £549.27 per month.
- Audi A5 Coupe 2.0 TFSI SE 2dr at £19,862.03 per year or £549.27 per month.
- Jaguar - XF Diesel saloon 2.0d Prestige 4dr at £20,389.49 per year or £566.37 per month.
“Our data shows it can be often be swings and roundabouts as some vehicles, particularly diesels, offer competitive ownership costs in terms of service and maintenance. Others offer more economical monthly running costs or fuel costs so for the majority of motorists it’s about figuring out what the most important feature is for them as individual vehicle owners,” said Nothard.