Fleet News

Gloucestershire Constabulary opts for Nissan Leaf

Gloucestershire Constabulary has added seven Nissan Leafs to its fleet, with three marked cars for use in urban areas and four unmarked cars for use in other operations.

The police force currently has 412 vehicles with 89.32% run on diesel and the remaining 10.68% on unleaded petrol.

Martin Surl, police and crime commissioner for Gloucestershire Police, said: “Gloucestershire Police have tested a number of electric models to check their viability. Now the first seven Nissan Leafs have arrived.

“The police are big car users with the vast majority of its fleet currently running on diesel engines. I believe the police can, and should, make an important contribution to reducing emissions by using cleaner vehicles.”

The vehicles have been supplied by Wessex Garages on Mercia Road, Gloucester.

Andy Provis, group fleet manager at Wessex Garages, said: “We are delighted that Gloucestershire Constabulary have invested in seven of Nissan’s 100% electric Leafs. There are many benefits of switching to an electric vehicle such as the low running costs and, of course, the environmental aspects.

He added: “The practicality of the Leaf is really drawing people to make the purchase and we are pleased to see that the Gloucestershire Constabulary is leading the way within the UK police force.”


Click here for electric cars and hybrids best practice and procurement insight

Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Login to comment

Comments

  • Mike Lovatt - 12/04/2017 14:07

    What a great surprise to come round a corner in Cheltenham this morning and be face to face with a Nissan Leaf patrol car! I own and use one every day and am converted to silent running electric cars. I hope the force find them suitable and enjoy driving them.

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee