At Merchants Transport Limited we have an excellent opportunity available for a Transport Manager to join our expanding business. With a current fleet of 12 vehicles and a stable customer base, there are significant plans for growth and development, therefore, whilst this position is initially for an anticipated period of 12 months as maternity cover, there is every likelihood that a permanent position will be available for the right candidate.
Reporting to the Director, the Transport Manager will be directly responsible for all aspects involved in the management and compliance of the fleet, sub-contracted owner / driver transport companies, driver agencies, other suppliers; and the organisation, planning and administration of the distribution and delivery system, ensuring opportunities are maximised on and costs are controlled in the most efficient manner possible.
Duties include (but are not limited to) the following:
* Ensuring the Company meets the requirements of the Operator Licence at all times and that all external compliance issues are dealt with.
* Continually working on and maintain the Companys FORS standing.
* Dealing with and negotiating with suppliers as required. This includes driver agencies.
* The day to day management of drivers and support personnel including the on-site mechanic.
* Involvement in the recruitment of HGV drivers and support personnel, including interviewing and ensuring all new employees are inducted and trained accordingly.
* Investigating accidents, incidents and complaints.
* Load planning, ensuring the most cost effective routing and compliance with drivers hours legislation.
* Continually seek out general haulage and return load opportunities in order to gain additional profitable revenue into the business.
* Be in charge of the out of hours mobile phone and action or forward on communications as appropriate.
The successful Transport Manager must have the following:
* Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) in Road Transport (National).
* Strong UK geographical knowledge including route planning
* Two years experience in a Transport Manager or similar role.
* Good accuracy, organisational, numeracy and literacy skills, as well as a strong grasp of I.T
* Excellent communications skills and the ability to deal with people at all levels, whilst maintaining excellent customer service and professionalism at all times.
* The ability to think logically and make decisions quickly.
* HGV Class 1 or 2 Licence would be desirable, but not essential.
Hours of work are Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm, however this could be flexible to suit.
Salary is negotiable and dependant on experience
You can apply this job via clicking the button below.