Fleet News

SME fleet use of spreadsheets to manage data ‘outdated and inefficient’

Fleet news logo

Almost a quarter (24%) of SME fleet managers are spending half their working day on spreadsheets, with more than half saying it prevents them from completing other important fleet tasks, new research suggests.

The survey, conducted by fleet management software company Vimcar, says that 46% of respondents find spreadsheets too time consuming and 37% say it leaves room for mistakes, with 63% admitting to having missed deadlines.

Vimcar says the systems being used by some fleet managers for keeping track of important fleet data are outdated and inefficient.

Ronald Clancy, UK country manager for Vimcar, said: “It’s clear from our research that those running fleets in SMEs are feeling defeated by their data, and it is having a negative impact on their businesses.

“Running a successful fleet starts with how its managed and fleet managers cannot be expected to run things efficiently while still relying on admin tools that aren’t fit for purpose.

“It is critical that fleet managers are well equipped with an automated and digitised management system that not only streamlines their data and daily tasks, but allows them to view, evaluate and compare the data held within the system.”

The research also reveals that the majority of fleet managers say vehicle maintenance and cost management is the most important part of their role, yet 60% are using multiple digital spreadsheets and 10% still using pen and paper, says Vimcar.

Of those surveyed, 79% have more than five different spreadsheets to keep track of important data such as cost, maintenance and mileage, with a further one-in-10 using more than 30.

Almost half said that spreadsheet set-up was too time consuming and was preventing them from completing other important tasks, with less than a quarter using a dedicated fleet management software designed specifically with their job in mind.

Vimcar customer Phillip Thompson, company firector at Active Traffic Management, said: “A fleet management solution like the one Vimcar provides give me the option to have everything in one place, which streamlines processes and gives me one system that works for everything, rather than everything spread across various spreadsheets and bits of paper.

“It also allows me to keep track of fuel costs and I have generally been able to manage my fleet better, with all-round ease.”


Fleet & Mobility Live 2021

Fleet and Mobility Live 2020 details

October 5 - 6, 2021

The NEC

Priceless insight into the hottest issues affecting fleets will be delivered at this year's event.

Transport decarbonisation | future tax predictions | driver training and risk assessment | telematics | driver and staff recriutment | how salary sacrifice can encourage staff into EVs | alternative fuels | autonomous tech | implementing eMobility strategies

Speakers will be experts in their fields, either hands-on fleet managers or representatives of specialist industry bodies and organisations. There will be no sales pitches.

Register now

Click here for fleet management software best practice and procurement insight

Leave a comment for your chance to win £20 of John Lewis vouchers.

Every issue of Fleet News the editor picks his favourite comment from the past two weeks – get involved for your chance to appear in print and win!

Login to comment

Comments

No comments have been made yet.

Related content

Compare costs of your company cars

Looking to acquire new vehicles? Check how much they'll cost to run with our Car Running Cost calculator.

What is your BIK car tax liability?

The Fleet News car tax calculator lets you work out tax costs for both employer and employee